Question Which psu should i go for 1660

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Iam planning to buy gtx 1660 anytime soon and my psu kinda sucks. Its 500watt, but its a no-name brand and i dont wanna risk it with new gpu, so which psu should i buy for it with budget of 50-60$?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Depends on the rest of your system.

Also, I think the GTX 1660 is going away, and the GTX 1660 Super is about the same price, maybe $10 more. Considering that extra few dollars brings it to 1660Ti performance, the 1660 Super is the way to go.

Unless the non-Super 1660 is being offered at a serious discount.

However, I'd say with a typical system (normal desktop CPU, no overclocking, etc) a high-quality unit of even 450W would cover your needs, because the 1660/1660Super/1660Ti are not very power-hungry . For the PSUs I'd recommend, though, you'd be looking at spending around $85 at least for a 450W. Sometimes, though, higher powered ones of the same series are the same price or only slightly more.

See the link in my sig.

BUT - as a quick look, check here on PCPartPicker, and put the following in the search box at the upper-right of that page (without quotes): "AX|HX|RM|TX|Focus|Prime"

The PSU is the lifeblood of your system. A low-quality one can, even when working, send unstable power through your system. If a PSU fails, and lower quality ones are more likely to do so, they can take out expensive components when they fail. In particularly bad cases, they can be a fire hazard. The PSU is the one component where you do NOT want to make compromises.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Iam planning to buy gtx 1660 anytime soon and my psu kinda sucks. Its 500watt, but its a no-name brand and i dont wanna risk it with new gpu, so which psu should i buy for it with budget of 50-60$?

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($58.54 @ Amazon)
Total: $58.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-08 11:44 EST-0500

Power supply prices aren't great at the moment due to uncertainty in the trade issues with China, so there aren't a lot of good choices in this price range. The modern Corsair CXs tend to be the budget PSU of choice.

450W will be less than recommended, however, if you expect to be upgrading to a more power-hungry GPU during the lifetime of this PSU.

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($58.54 @ Amazon)
Total: $58.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-08 11:44 EST-0500

Power supply prices aren't great at the moment due to uncertainty in the trade issues with China, so there aren't a lot of good choices in this price range. The modern Corsair CXs tend to be the budget PSU of choice.

450W will be less than recommended, however, if you expect to be upgrading to a more power-hungry GPU during the lifetime of this PSU.
Then which one would you recommend for 1660? I want the psu to be trusted and great so i might be spending more money for better quality, maybe 70$ or more.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That's one of the older CXM models. If going with a CX/CXM, you'd probably want the 2017 version. It does, however, just barely squeeze in to your original budget.

That said, I'd still prefer going with a known higher quality unit - which will in turn come with a longer warranty as well.

The CX and CXm units are ok as a budget option, but I do not recommend pairing them with gaming cards. The newer 2017 models of CX and CXm are better than the older ones, but still not what we'd call terrific. Even so, in a real financial pinch, or if there are simply no other good models available to you, then the GRAY label Corsair CX and CXM units are passable. You would be wise to avoid the GREEN label models.