Build Advice Which PSU should I pick for this build

Aug 21, 2019
I am building my first system. I would like to choose right PSU for that.

First, I was thinking of any PSU around 850W - 1000W. Then, I calculated that my build will take ~ 610W with all the components like M2.SSD, 2 SSD, 2 HHD, DVD and SCSI card etc. I realised I am not going to buy any second video card so I will probably never use such large wattage, otherwise I would probably have to add an extra 400W to what I have and buy something over 1000W.

Am i right to reduce wattage down to 750W and focused on more efficient PSUs with just one video card? At the moment, I kind of narrowed my options to three Corsairs: Corsair RMi 750 W (£125), Corsair RM (2019) 750 W (£90), Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W (£98). All of three are 80+ gold. As you can see, RMi 750 is the most expensive but perform best out of those three and I would select this one. I am not sure if I really need to pay more for extra % on fully loaded PSU?

Thanks

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
  • RMi: Gold, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM mode, analog PSU, but with monitoring. 50°C rated. japanese caps.
  • RMx: Gold, fully modular, rifle bearing fan with Zero RPM mode but no monitoring of all details. 50°C rated and Japanese cap
In reality, for the price difference, you would be fine with the RMx, unless you want special monitoring and an FDB fan in particular

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Aug 21, 2019
Thanks for your comments.
It's not that I like Corsair but I know little about other products. At the moment, I still don't know what I should look at. I read a lot but It's not easy to grasp everything. I should probably read more reviews on PSUs.
Which other companies are also worth considering apart from Corsair and SeaSonic? On PCPartPicker EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold has lots of positive reviews.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Remember brand does not equal quality.

The EVGA Supernova G3 is a great PSU.
The Seasonic Focus Plus quoted above is also excellent.
The RMx is also excellent.

And make sure reviews are from reputable testers, not general users - so stick to Kitguru, or JonnyGuru for example.

I would opt for the FOCUS and RMx over the SuperNOVA G3 - however for the price I would go the RMx. Equally if the FOCUS was cheaper, I'd opt for that. They're both excellent and both have 10 year warranties