Question Which PSU should i upgrade to for a i5-4460 to run a GTX1060?

Feb 22, 2023
PC is a prebuilt dinosaur. Aspire TC-605-UB12.
i5-4460

I'd like to if at all possible get a good enough upgraded PSU to carry over to my next/first PC build when I eventually upgrade.
I know its old but it was free. Brother in Law upgraded and gave me this to see if I even wanted to get back into computer gaming....I do.:ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2023
Depends on the gpu you have or intend to have. Until then, even that doorstop of a psu should be more than enough to power a cpu as old as that i5.
Unfortunately, the current PSU doesn't have that PCI-E cable needed to power my 1060. That's the reason I'm even upgrading this dinosaur. It's my first time messing with computers like this, i just don't want to get something that isn't compatible. Forgive my ignorance, I'm extremely new to this.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No worries. A 1060 can get by easy enough with a 450w psu, but you'll find that those can cost just as much as a decent 550w, since that's a higher competition size.

Shop around, look for Gold rated units as they run cooler and don't waste a bunch of energy as wasted heat. Get a list of 4 or 5 that are in your budget range, and ask. You don't have a high demand pc, but the psu is literally the heart of the system, it powers and is responsible for power to Everything, so don't skimp on quality if it can be avoided. (size is Not a measure of quality).

A smaller psu, @ 140mm deep, would be advised over a longer (150mm deep +).

Obviously anything with the terms 'lite' or 'smart' or 'eco' are generally to be avoided.

Pcpartpicker.com is generally a good place to start as it'll include prices from popular places like Amazon, newegg, etc, but not knowing your location, that can all change.