[SOLVED] Which PSU should I use?

Jun 19, 2020
I've got 2 power supplies. XFX pro 650w & Seasonic S12II-Bronze 620w.

I know the XFX pro is better, but they are both bronze. I want to use the Seasonic since it has less cables and looks better.
Would it make a difference which PSU I'm gonna use since my PC probaly won't reach above 500w.

XFX = 53A
Seasonic = 48A

Specs
Ryzen 3600
ROG STRIX b450
R9 270x Upgrading to Gtx 1070 ti
2 ssd and 1 hdd
5 Fans in the case

Solution
The Seasonic is an old group regulated platform. While it WAS a good platform for it's time, and is still a lot better than many other platforms out there, it is best avoided unless it is the ONLY good option available to you.

IIRC the XFX Pro 650w is nearly the same platform as the S12II EXCEPT that it's improved and is a DC-DC design rather than group regulated, which makes it a better option aside from being higher capacity and probably newer. Bottom line though is both these units are likely much more than five years in service and are not good choices for continued use with your new hardware, or even old working hardware, if you value that hardware. At five years, those units had already reached the point at which the...
The Seasonic is an old group regulated platform. While it WAS a good platform for it's time, and is still a lot better than many other platforms out there, it is best avoided unless it is the ONLY good option available to you.

IIRC the XFX Pro 650w is nearly the same platform as the S12II EXCEPT that it's improved and is a DC-DC design rather than group regulated, which makes it a better option aside from being higher capacity and probably newer. Bottom line though is both these units are likely much more than five years in service and are not good choices for continued use with your new hardware, or even old working hardware, if you value that hardware. At five years, those units had already reached the point at which the manufacturer felt it was no longer trustworthy and dependable.

I'd recommend you get something newer, and better, but if you can't I'd probably recommend using the XFX unit until you can.

Reactions: jonnyguru
Solution
Jun 19, 2020
I bought the seasonic in April of 2017 I still have warranty on it for around 2 years. For the XFX I think it's around 4 years old, but has been used like for 1,5 years since I got it for free. Should I keep using the seasonic till its out of warranty and then use the XFX?

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
IIRC the XFX Pro 650w is nearly the same platform as the S12II EXCEPT that it's improved and is a DC-DC design rather than group regulated
No, it's very different, platform Seasonic S12II 750W or S12II EVO 650W and up also used in a whole bunch of other (rather old) SKUs. Really old stuff but it's decent DC-DC unit. And it has 10y warranty so i don't see any problem with reusing it for GTX1070 Ti.