[SOLVED] Which PSU to get for my HP 8300 Elite SFF

jamio679

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018
I am not sure what would fit and be compatible. My current PSU only has 240 watts, and I am looking for 350-500 (Planning on upgrading graphics card to GT 1050 or GT 1070)
Current specs:
i7 3770k
GT 1030
1 TB HDD
16 GB ram
Windows 10

Solution
I heard that the max is 75 watts on another site

Correction: 35W not 25W. But if it's the small form factor, it's definitely not 75W. Usually, the ones you see in small form factor prebuilts are 25W.

Untitled.png

Small form factor business machines are just terrible candidates to turn into gaming PCs, unfortunately.

DSzymborski

Titan
The model and form factor create significant obstacles for you in your goal. For one, you're going to be limited to single-slot GPUs, so a GTX 1070 is right out. Second, you have an oddball formfactor PSU and proprietary connections, so upgrading that will be difficult. Third, you can only get 25W from the PCIE slot.

You chose well in getting a GT 1030 into an old small form factor office PC. But this is about as far as you can take this rig without changing out the motherboard, power supply, and case. Given this set of contraints, you already have the most powerful GPU you can get right now.

jamio679

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018
The model and form factor create significant obstacles for you in your goal. For one, you're going to be limited to single-slot GPUs, so a GTX 1070 is right out. Second, you have an oddball formfactor PSU and proprietary connections, so upgrading that will be difficult. Third, you can only get 25W from the PCIE slot.

You chose well in getting a GT 1030 into an old small form factor office PC. But this is about as far as you can take this rig without changing out the motherboard, power supply, and case. Given this set of contraints, you already have the most powerful GPU you can get right now.
I heard that the max is 75 watts on another site

TRENDING THREADS