Which PSU Watt should I focus on?

Sep 25, 2018
Hey,

I'm planning on running a high end overclocked PC for Video Editting (more specfically After Effects) and so far, I've settled on the following parts...

i9-9900K (not released yet)
64GB DDR4 RAM @ 3000-4000MHZ
2 M.2 SSD + 1 HDD (for After Effects purposes)
GeForce GTX 1080TI

I'm not sure if this is enough information to answer the following question, which is:

Which Power Supply Wattage should I be focusing on?
Thanks

Solution
You should us a power supply calculator and that will give you an idea of what your max load wattage is, even though you will never hit that. Remember that a power supply hits its peak efficiency at a 50% load so I would take 2/3 of your max load from the calculator and go ~2x that. For example if it says 300W max, your 99% of the time load will be about 200W so you would get a 450W PSU.
You should us a power supply calculator and that will give you an idea of what your max load wattage is, even though you will never hit that. Remember that a power supply hits its peak efficiency at a 50% load so I would take 2/3 of your max load from the calculator and go ~2x that. For example if it says 300W max, your 99% of the time load will be about 200W so you would get a 450W PSU.

Solution
As above a good 750w or even 850w dependant on price..Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is a tremendous PSU and is usually on sale and the difference between the 750w and 850w is nominal at around 10 to $15...

Just checked Amazon and they are both at the same price of $104.99..