which RAM for my upgrade

bravhorn

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
Hi all,

i want to upgrade my RAM but am a bit unsure what will run on my pc
at the minute i have Ripsaw 4G 2X 2G below - my question is what would be my best choice when upgrading.
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 2
Memory
Type DDR3
Size 4096 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 666.2 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 9 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 9 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 9 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 24 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 1T

MB is
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model P55M-UD2 (Socket 1156)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model DMI Host Bridge
Chipset Revision 11
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model P55
Southbridge Revision 05
System Temperature 33 °C

THANKS ALL IN ADVANCE

Solution
Good choice and plan - if you try and 'add' another 2x2GB or whatever tere is no guarantee it will play with the old sticks (even if you buy an identical set. This way you'll have 8working GB and if you want can try adding the old for a bonus or use it in another rig or simply sell it off and recoup some of your expenditure ;)
Get the exact same brand and type of RAM you have now. You could get 2x2 more for another 4 gig, or you could get 2x4, or even 2x8.
Most important though, buy the same brand/type of memory you have already to minimize compatibility issues.(Gskill Ripjaws)
Any set you add to the other 2 slots, as long as it is done in identical pairs, (2x2, 2x4, 2x8 example) will keep you running in dual channel mode, which is the desired thing you want to do.

bravhorn

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
hi
i was thinking of replacing the RAM i have with

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Jet Black 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Dual/Quad Channel Kit,

i mostly use the cpu for gaming, is the above about the best i could get for my spec of pc or should i be aiming higher

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Good choice and plan - if you try and 'add' another 2x2GB or whatever tere is no guarantee it will play with the old sticks (even if you buy an identical set. This way you'll have 8working GB and if you want can try adding the old for a bonus or use it in another rig or simply sell it off and recoup some of your expenditure ;)

Solution