Question Which RAM is a better option and Why?

Jun 29, 2022
Which RAM is a better option for my CPU

1ProcessorIntelXeon Sliver 4214 12C/24T
2MotherboardIntelServer Board S2600 STBR
Below are the options:

MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2F1TI
OR
HYNIX(64X1 Ecc Memory 2666MHz 64GB

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Neither.

What is this system for exactly?

A single stick of 64GB memory is the worst thing you can do with that Xeon. You should have like 8 8GB sticks to get all the memory channels going.

I hope this isn't for gaming, because it is huge waste of money if so.

Jun 29, 2022
Neither.

What is this system for exactly?

A single stick of 64GB memory is the worst thing you can do with that Xeon. You should have like 8 8GB sticks to get all the memory channels going.

I hope this isn't for gaming, because it is huge waste of money if so.

This server is for the product setup for a SIEM solution that will be handling a huge amount of data using logs from endpoint devices. Basically, a logging & monitoring solution (Security Operations Center) will be hosted on this.

kanewolf

Titan

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Then you don't want a single 64GB stick.

Each CPU is an 8 channel configuration with 8 slots. So for a single CPU setup you want 8 sticks. If the plan is to start with 64GB, then I suggest 4x16GB kit so you have room to double if needed. Only quad channel at that point, but better than a single stick.

Something like this should be in a chassis with redundant power supplies, a battery backup, etc, rather than a consumer grade desktop PSU.

Jun 29, 2022
Then you don't want a single 64GB stick.

Each CPU is an 8 channel configuration with 8 slots. So for a single CPU setup you want 8 sticks. If the plan is to start with 64GB, then I suggest 4x16GB kit so you have room to double if needed. Only quad channel at that point, but better than a single stick.

Something like this should be in a chassis with redundant power supplies, a battery backup, etc, rather than a consumer grade desktop PSU.

Which one is a better option among these?
MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2F1TI (Micron 1x 64GB DDR4-3200 RDIMM PC4-25600R Dual Rank x4 Module)
OR
HYNIX(64X1 Ecc Memory 2666MHz 64GB

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Xeon Silver 4214 uses a max of 6 memory channels. The S2600 STBR has 16 DIMM slots and 16 memory channels. With just 1x cpu, you should be running 6x sticks, 6x8Gb for 48Gb total or 6x16Gb for 96Gb total.

A single 1x64Gb stick is going to run far slower than any other combination as you'll only get quad rank accessibility, vrs 6x16Gb sticks using dual rank ram has 12 rank accessibility.

Servers have multiple independent channels for a reason, using a single stick is like trying to get offspring from a castrated bull.