Which ram should I buy? Looking at overclocking

Tom_Watson

Commendable
Apr 25, 2017
Hi Guys,

Building a PC tomorrow and I know it is kind of late to make changes however for my Ryzen build I decided to switch to a 2400g with 8gb ram over a 2200g with 16gb ram.

When I tried to reserve my parts the store I am using told me I couldn't get the ram I originally wanted as it was out of stock (Vengeance LPX 8GB 2666). So now the two options I have are the G.Skill Ripjaws 5 and corsair vengeance LPX. Both of those two are 2x4gb 2400mhz models. The thing is, I know ryzen heavily relies on ram speed, and I am seeing sometimes a 5-12 frame difference between 2133 and 2666. Can I overclock either the modules available to reach a higher speed? The 16gb kit I was previously looking at was 3200mhz so I am really second guessing myself here.

Should I just go with the 2200g and 16gigs at 3200mhz or the 2400g with lower ram speed?

A fast reply would really be appreciated.

Solution
Either set should hit 2666mhz with some effort. I use to love corsair ram to the point of exclusivity but my last few builds have been g.skill and would happily add another to the list. In fact I looked at a higher clocked binning of the same Ripjaws V when pondering a new build I am yet to pull the trigger on.

Tom_Watson

Commendable
Apr 25, 2017

The things is I am just a student and was hoping to build it for the holidays. If I save it means I will be getting the pc towards the end which isn't something I would prefer. Do you know how well either the Ripjaws 5 2400mhz or Corsair Vengeance LPX will oc? Could I get it to possibly 2666mhz? So far I am only looking at playing Counter Strike, Doom and Rainbow 6 if that helps you grasp how much performance I need.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Either set should hit 2666mhz with some effort. I use to love corsair ram to the point of exclusivity but my last few builds have been g.skill and would happily add another to the list. In fact I looked at a higher clocked binning of the same Ripjaws V when pondering a new build I am yet to pull the trigger on.

Solution

Tom_Watson

Commendable
Apr 25, 2017

Alright thanks man really appreciate it.