[SOLVED] Which RAM should I get for my Acer Aspire E5-575G laptop ?

Feb 13, 2021
Hello,

I have a Acer Aspire E15 model laptop ( E5-575G), which is few years old.

It came with 6th gen Intel core i5 6200U and 4GB DDR4 Ram alongside nVidia GeForce 940Mx graphics card.

Since it only has 4GB of Ram, I'd like to upgrade it by adding another 4GB or 8GB Ram stick.

Task manager shows me that it runs 2133MHz. (please see the attached image below).

I can only buy from the local shops and they have 8GB Ram sticks which is 2666Mhz.

If I buy a 2600Mhz ram, can I use that in my laptop? would there be any issues? or would there be any damages to my laptop (current ram card or motherboard), if I use more speed Ram than I currently have? (I'd like to use both current and new ram stick altogether , I have extra Ram slot in my laptop).

=Current Ram Info from Piriform Speccy=
AOx3eDk.jpg

Appreciate your help on this.

Solution
No harm will come if you buy ram that does not work.
Only your wallet will be harmed since you can't return it and you will be left with the original issue.

Ebay protects buyers. If you pay with paypal and buy from a seller with a good reputation, you are relatively safe.
Hello,

I have a Acer Aspire E15 model laptop ( E5-575G), which is few years old.

It came with 6th gen Intel core i5 6200U and 4GB DDR4 Ram alongside nVidia GeForce 940Mx graphics card.

Since it only has 4GB of Ram, I'd like to upgrade it by adding another 4GB or 8GB Ram stick.

Task manager shows me that it runs 2133MHz. (please see the attached image below).

I can only buy from the local shops and they have 8GB Ram sticks which is 2666Mhz.

If I buy a 2600Mhz ram, can I use that in my laptop? would there be any issues? or would there be any damages to my laptop (current ram card or motherboard), if I use more speed Ram than I currently have? (I'd like to use both current and new ram stick altogether , I have extra Ram slot in my laptop).

=Current Ram Info from Piriform Speccy=
AOx3eDk.jpg

Appreciate your help on this.

In theory the higher speed ram will clock down to 2133 so that both sticks will work together.

If your going to buy local make sure you can return it.

Reactions: SirSleepsALot
Feb 13, 2021

Thank you for your reply.

That's the sad part, we don't have returns in my country. So I need to be sure that new ram stick I buy will work with my laptop and it can work together with my current ram.

The one I want to buy is Patriot Signature Laptop ram (8GB single stick, 2666MHz).
Would it work on my laptop? would it work with my current ram?

Thank you.

Thank you for your reply.

That's the sad part, we don't have returns in my country. So I need to be sure that new ram stick I buy will work with my laptop and it can work together with my current ram.

The one I want to buy is Patriot Signature Laptop ram (8GB single stick, 2666MHz).
Would it work on my laptop? would it work with my current ram?

Thank you.
Any time you mix ram, brands/speed/size, it's a flip of a coin if it will work.
Even getting an exact match for the stick you have may not work.
If your forced to buy local then the best you can do is try it and hope.

Are you sure you can't mail order ram?

Intel is quite tolerant of mismatched ram.
the 2666 ram is likely to work, but less than 100%
What is your plan B if it does not work?

To be safe, look for a ram module with the same specs, namely 2133 speed and cas 15 timings.

Ram is cheap enough that I would give it a try, even if you can't exactly match the specs.
Not only will you have 12gb, but 8gb of that will operate in faster dual channel mode.

If your laptop does not have a ssd, that would be my top priority in performance improvement.

Feb 13, 2021
Any time you mix ram, brands/speed/size, it's a flip of a coin if it will work.
Even getting an exact match for the stick you have may not work.
If your forced to buy local then the best you can do is try it and hope.

If I mix and match RAM, if I put a Patriot Signature Laptop ram (8GB single stick, 2666MHz) alongside my current 2133Mhz 4GB ram stick, would it do any harm to my laptop? like would it damage my main-board or something?

It seems not possible. I tried with some online shops like Newegg and original manufacturer (corsair, g-skill etc). Only Amazon and ebay do ship to my country (Sri Lanka). Manufacturers had the list of local retailers, and I called them. not one of retailers have the module I want (2133MHz DDR4 SODIMM). almost everyone only has stocks for 3200Mhz on SODIMMs and they had wider variety on desktop RAMs. So my only option is either Amazon or Ebay, which is costly as hell. Amazon requires double the shipping fee plus some more for insurance and protection stuff. It's too much for me, and I'm little skeptical on Ebay.

Feb 13, 2021
Intel is quite tolerant of mismatched ram.
the 2666 ram is likely to work, but less than 100%
What is your plan B if it does not work?

To be safe, look for a ram module with the same specs, namely 2133 speed and cas 15 timings.

Ram is cheap enough that I would give it a try, even if you can't exactly match the specs.
Not only will you have 12gb, but 8gb of that will operate in faster dual channel mode.

If your laptop does not have a ssd, that would be my top priority in performance improvement.

Hello, thank you for your reply.

What do you mean by "the 2666 ram is likely to work, but less than 100%"? would it be slower than my current setup, or since it'd be down to 2133Mhz, I may not what I pay for?

I tried to find but had no luck. there's no retailers locally and reputable online shops are not shipping to Sri Lanka. I've got amazon but it requires twice the Ram price as shipping and little more as insurance and protection fee. so that's way out of my budget.

As I've asked from Bob, could you please help me understand, if I put a Patriot Signature Laptop ram (8GB single stick, 2666MHz) alongside my current 2133Mhz 4GB ram stick, would it do any harm to my laptop? like would it damage my main-board or something?

What would be the worst possible?

If I mix and match RAM, if I put a Patriot Signature Laptop ram (8GB single stick, 2666MHz) alongside my current 2133Mhz 4GB ram stick, would it do any harm to my laptop? like would it damage my main-board or something?

It seems not possible. I tried with some online shops like Newegg and original manufacturer (corsair, g-skill etc). Only Amazon and ebay do ship to my country (Sri Lanka). Manufacturers had the list of local retailers, and I called them. not one of retailers have the module I want (2133MHz DDR4 SODIMM). almost everyone only has stocks for 3200Mhz on SODIMMs and they had wider variety on desktop RAMs. So my only option is either Amazon or Ebay, which is costly as hell. Amazon requires double the shipping fee plus some more for insurance and protection stuff. It's too much for me, and I'm little skeptical on Ebay.
I doubt you will do any harm.
Install the second stick of ram and see if the pc will boot.

No harm will come if you buy ram that does not work.
Only your wallet will be harmed since you can't return it and you will be left with the original issue.

Ebay protects buyers. If you pay with paypal and buy from a seller with a good reputation, you are relatively safe.

Solution