[SOLVED] Which ram speed?

Feb 7, 2021
If my system calls for 2133mhz memory, and has no way to speed it up in the bios, and none of the normal programs work for the overclocking of memory on my hp 17-X115DX, is there any reason I should buy something faster like 3200mhz? Wouldn't the 2133mhz have lower latency?

Solution
If my system calls for 2133mhz memory, and has no way to speed it up in the bios, and none of the normal programs work for the overclocking of memory on my hp 17-X115DX, is there any reason I should buy something faster like 3200mhz? Wouldn't the 2133mhz have lower latency?

Hey there,

Sadly there is no point in getting faster ram, than what the mobo can do. I've an HP Omen, and similarly my speed is maxed at 2666mhz which corresponds with the capabilities of the CPU. It would be a waste to put anything faster in.

Although you could get ram @2133mhz with tighter CL timings, that will not give a huge boost in performance or anything. Some programs would respond slightly better, but in general there would be no perceivable...

Hey there,

Sadly there is no point in getting faster ram, than what the mobo can do. I've an HP Omen, and similarly my speed is maxed at 2666mhz which corresponds with the capabilities of the CPU. It would be a waste to put anything faster in.

Although you could get ram @2133mhz with tighter CL timings, that will not give a huge boost in performance or anything. Some programs would respond slightly better, but in general there would be no perceivable difference. Getting more ram, is often the most you can do with laptops. But for you, you would need to get 2 so-dimms with 8gb each to increase your total ram. You could just get another single 8gb stick, and add it to one of the 4gb dimms for a total of 12gb. But, you may as well just get two new 8gb sticks, and sell your current ram to offset the cost.

Reactions: alceryes
Solution
Yes. Many laptops will dynamically increase memory speed if the RAM and CPU allow it.

I bought an HP 14-dq1039wm early last year. It came with 2666MHz RAM with no way to adjust in BIOS, however, when I upgraded the RAM to 3200MHz the RAM started dynamically boosting all the way to 3200MHz at times.

Of course, YMMV. Your laptop may not boost the memory up to its maximum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey there,

I guess this shows that it depends on each individual laptop.
My CPU (i5-1035G7) can run the memory at 3200MHz.

OP, what specific CPU do you have in the HP?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Feb 7, 2021
Hey there,

Although you could get ram @2133mhz with tighter CL timings, that will not give a huge boost in performance or anything. Some programs would respond slightly better, but in general there would be no perceivable difference. Getting more ram, is often the most you can do with laptops. But for you, you would need to get 2 so-dimms with 8gb each to increase your total ram. You could just get another single 8gb stick, and add it to one of the 4gb dimms for a total of 12gb. But, you may as well just get two new 8gb sticks, and sell your current ram to offset the cost.

It's funny, because it actually came with a single 8gb stick, which I've never seen a computer come with a single stick. Without opening it up, I had ordered what I thought was 2x8gb but when I got it, it was actually 1x16gb at 3200mhz, I was planning on returning it for the 2x8gb because I've heard, arguably, that dual channel increases speed, but I wasn thinking that since I can't overclock it, I may as well just buy a matching 8gb and call it a day.

Feb 7, 2021
Yes. Many laptops will dynamically increase memory speed if the RAM and CPU allow it.

I bought an HP 14-dq1039wm early last year. It came with 2666MHz RAM with no way to adjust in BIOS, however, when I upgraded the RAM to 3200MHz the RAM started dynamically boosting all the way to 3200MHz at times.

Of course, YMMV. Your laptop may not boost the memory up to its maximum.

I bought a single 16gb 3200mhz by mistake instead of 2x8gb, and was going to return it for the 2x8. Right now in cpu-z the dram frequency is 1064, but the Uncore frequency is 3291, so what exactly does that mean?

It's funny, because it actually came with a single 8gb stick, which I've never seen a computer come with a single stick. Without opening it up, I had ordered what I thought was 2x8gb but when I got it, it was actually 1x16gb at 3200mhz, I was planning on returning it for the 2x8gb because I've heard, arguably, that dual channel increases speed, but I wasn thinking that since I can't overclock it, I may as well just buy a matching 8gb and call it a day.

Dual channel (2 x Dimms) can give anywhere from 5-15% increase in performance (task dependant) defo worth the free boost. That's separate from the speed of the ram.

TRENDING THREADS