[SOLVED] Which RAMs should I buy?

JaroslavSolek

Prominent
Jan 17, 2021
Hi, just wanna mention, that I am not really computer geek and professional. Anyways, I wanted to upgrade my computer memory. But I am still very unsure about it all, so if any of you can confirm, if it will work, I would be hugely thankful.
So, at the moment I have 2x4 GB RAMs placed into the slot with one gap in between. My motherboard is ASUS M4A77TD (very old, I know). It has 4 slots. I found 2x2 GB RAMs laying on my desk, I've cleaned them, but when I did put them both into the slots with other 2x4 GB RAMs, PC did start, but haven't boot. So I tried to remove them one by one with a combination of 3 RAMs 2x4 GB RAMs + 1x2 GB RAM and the pc did boot. I also tried to switch them to find out if the slots aren't damaged.
But to the point, my budget for better RAMs is around 70 euros (not a currency I would pay usually), and my interest is in Patriot Viper 3 Black Mamba 2x8 GB RAMs - DDR3. If it would be working also with the other 2x4 GB RAMs, I would have 24 GB memory in total, but I don't think my old supply would handle it or motherboard itself. So my question is, if it would work with the new RAMs I am willing to buy (with or without other RAMs) and also, why my pc haven't booted with 12 GB memory.
I am hugely thankful for any answers. So long, bye!

Solution
A perennial question.
Here is my stock answer:

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they should be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%
I might guess 90% success for intel and less for amd.

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

If you want 16gb, my suggestion is...
A perennial question.
Here is my stock answer:

A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they should be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.

If you want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

Solution
Mixing RAM is always a gamble, where it may or may not work, more so on older platforms. Your motherboard supports a maximum of 16gb...
4 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 Hz ECC, Non-ECC,

So you can either add 8gb more or get a 16gb kit. Adding 8gb has less probability of working with your existing kit than a 16gb kit.

JaroslavSolek

Prominent
Jan 17, 2021
A perennial question.
Here is my stock answer:

If you want 16gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.
Thank you for your answer. I will take the risk and buy them, in any case, I should be able to refund.

JaroslavSolek

Prominent
Jan 17, 2021
Mixing RAM is always a gamble, where it may or may not work, more so on older platforms. Your motherboard supports a maximum of 16gb...
4 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 Hz ECC, Non-ECC,

So you can either add 8gb more or get a 16gb kit. Adding 8gb has less probability of working with your existing kit than a 16gb kit.
Thank you for your answer. That means, that I can completely replace the old RAMs for those new 2x8 GB RAMs and it should be working. I appreciate it!