"Which Religion Do You Follow" discussion page.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
+1 for Christianity specifically presbyterian here. As long as this doesn't get out of hand I think it could be an enlightening thread. I've studied all the major world religions and granted I follow Christianity myself I also impart certain aspects of Buddhism in my thought process especially in choosing "The middle way". As a wise teacher of mine once told me you have to be like a palm and flex with the high winds in life rather than be rigid like an oak and find yourself on the ground toppled and broken.

B_I_O_M

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Well there is really no "good" translation of the Qu'ran. According to Muslim belief, Arabic is the only language that the Qu'ran, and Islam itself, can truly be understood and experienced with. That's why every Muslim in the world can read and understand some Arabic. But, in regards to your question, just go to a book store or online and find a decently priced one. Try and get one that has an Arabic translation in it because at least that one won't be as criticized by the Muslim community, plus it's pretty cool.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

Thanks for taking the first part, BIOM. The answer to the second part is that, in it's broadest sense, the Torah is identical to the old testament of the Christian Bible, and in the more restricted sense it refers to the first five books of the Bible. Therefore, any good Bible will also be a translation of the Torah. Reference (since I'm not a Jew): http://www.jewfaq.org/torah.htm

randomizer

Administrator
I believe the NASB is a more literal translation of the Bible than, say, the NIV. There's also a LOLcats version but I don't think it's quite on the money if you want to give sermons. As for the Qu'ran: while you may not be reading the "true" text if you read it in English, chances are you'll be getting a better idea of it than if you read it in a language that you don't know :p

B_I_O_M

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Haha, I didn't even notice the Torah question. Actually, the first five books are specifically called the Pentateuch. Aside from that, the Torah is the Old Testament. If you want a complete listing of Jewish scripture, you'll be looking for the Tanahk, which is composed of the Torah (Law), Ketuvim (Writing), and Nevi'im (Prophets). As for a good translation, I find that any ol' Bible works, but make sure you research that specific type and note it's differences.

@randomizer: Haha, very true. I was just listing the belief. I find that finding an appropriate Qu'ran is like finding a Bible. Again, just research and note the differences.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Very good. If you want to just start reading the Bible and not worry too much, just take the NIV or NKJV translations. Both popular, both good choices. I use NKJV 'cause that's what I have.

This is some what related, but not exactly but here we go anyway.... DO NOT start flaming....

Anyways what do you guys think about this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11223457

I'm interested in what you guys have to say. Personally I think this is taking it too far. There is no need to do such thing. Don't try to fight fire with fire imo. There is no need to do something like this. And yes, I realize it's only 50 people involved but still. Are there know laws (esp. loop holes),etc to stop such an action? I know USA was built on Religious Freedom, but this is taking those freedoms too far.

As for the building of the mosque near Ground Zero: I believe it is inappropriate. In fact, I don't think anything should be built near/at ground Zero. I think we should just reserve/preserve it just like the USS Arizona in Perl Harbor.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
The first line in that article demonstrates the fundamental problem in the world today.
The top US commander in Afghanistan warned troops' lives would be in danger if the Dove World Outreach Center in Florida went ahead.
In essence, he's stating offended Afghanis would be striking not against the people who actually committed the act, but whomever they can get their hands on. What makes it worse is the people planning to burn the Koran (Qu'ran) are doing the exact same thing!

I too think "ground zero" should be mostly left alone, with the exception of some buildings memorializing the event. A mosque just seems completely inappropriate, especially if our government weren't also entertaining any proposals from other religious organizations. But that brings us back to the "Church and State" argument... The circle is complete! :)

Unfortunately, we're talking about what might just be the most prime piece of prime real estate. Personally, I think NYC could use more green jungle instead of concrete jungle. Build a memorial on-site, then make the rest a park and be done with it.

Unfortunately, we're talking about what might just be the most prime piece of prime real estate. Personally, I think NYC could use more green jungle instead of concrete jungle. Build a memorial on-site, then make the rest a park and be done with it.
+1. They should build a memorial there and be done with it.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
^+1 from me also^

In short, I support their right to do it, but I don't think that they should. I think that it is the wrong action for a church to take since it feels like retaliating in kind. I would support it if it was some converts from Islam wanting to put their past behind them, and I would feel better about it if they made it clear that it was a statement against a religion but not against the people who practiced it, but in this case I don't.

randomizer

Administrator
They have the right to burn the Qur'an under US law but that doesn't mean they should. Like many outspoken "Christian" preachers (televangelists come to mind), they are loony and more interested in attention for themselves than attention for God. The only time God has been mentioned in all this is that God supposedly told him to do it.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I'm beginning to question whether this guy's genuine, or just doing this as a publicity stunt for his or his faith's own gain. Past and present corruptions within religion and religious institutions are ever self-apparent.

One could argue that if God, the Almighty Himself, wanted to burn the Koran/Qu'ran, he'd simply do it himself. I mean, he can, right? He's all-knowing and all-powerful, right? Or, does he actually have to get his creation to do his work for him? That idea is so akin to some grand puppet master pulling the strings of the puppet (humanity), that I cannot help but question it at every turn.

Why even exist at all if we're simply following the grand scheme of some super-being? Descartes, and later Kierkegaard, assured mankind that we existed because we were able to think and possessed our own thoughts, yet acts we commit have destroyed God's creation on a daily basis since... well, for a REALLY long time. Oh yeah! I almost forgot God gave us free will... Silly me. Surely we must be getting closer to those fabled "End Times" then, huh?

Again, I don't want to come across as the ever-pessimistic. I'm just sharing my thoughts and perspective. Questions and feelings like those I have are hard for me to dismiss, especially when the counterpoint is always so damned intangible.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

This might help address his original inquiry:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcno.htm

It lists collections of data (including the Bible, as well as others) that reference Jesus of Nazareth (aka Jesus Christ). Some of these were written shortly after Jesus's date of death, and several do not have anything to do with Christianity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS