[SOLVED] Need help choosing a suitable external monitor for my laptop?

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Greetings! Wanting to get an ultra-wide to learn programming and security during my free time. Would like to get an ultrawide.

I have a MSI GS75 Stealth with the 9th gen i7-9750h and Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 MAX-Q, 8GB DDR6 RAM video and 16GB DDR4 system memory. The laptops native screen resolution is 1920x1080.

What type of resolution can this laptop push for these items smoothly? As stated, primarily coding, web browsing and learning cyber security. I won't be doing much in the way of gaming with it as that I would do on my laptop screen primarily. Would be nice if I could, but not a deal breaker.

Torn between going with a 3840x1080p or 3440x1440 or 3840x1200. I just don't know what this can power appropriately.

Thank you for your help - it is really appreciated!

Solution
They are all about the same number of pixels. So it won't make much difference.

If you aren't running games then it will make even less difference.

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
They are all about the same number of pixels. So it won't make much difference.

If you aren't running games then it will make even less difference.

Thank you.

Can anyone offer some recommendations? I'm currently torn between the Dell U-Series 38" (U3818DW) or the Alienware AW3420DW. I do not game regularly, but would like to be able to do some casual gaming on the monitor should I have the opportunity. I worry the Dell simply won't be adequate for it.

Appreciate any insight you folks can offer me!

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
I would go for the 3840x1080p . in my opionon it has the best proportions, since it would max out the width, which is what you want when you're going for an ultra wide.

but... i also do coding for collage work, do it on my desktop, laptop and even on my tv which is being used as a second monitor... i can tell you that resolution and all of that have virtually no impact on your programming experience. the only time it actually comes in play is with gaming.

which would matter for you is the physical size of the screen. bigger is better. and since it's a monitor and not a tv you wont have to worry about the pixles being placed further apart, which is the case in tv's since the user is supposed to be sitting further away.

BTW: Just to let you know, you can acutally use an external monitor for gaming on a laptop... just set that one as main display (Works for my Asus laptop)