which ROG Board? Ranger or Hero? HELP PLZ

Montreux

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Hey guys,
I'm planning on picking up a motherboard within the next two days and am baffled as to which ROG board to get.

The ranger is about $50 AUD cheaper than the hero making it quite tempting.

Now, the ranger has only 6 SATA3 ports, but even thats more than I'll ever need. The extra LEDs on the hero is cool, yeah, but I suppose its inconsequential after all...

I know that the hero has better components and power to the CPU, but will the ranger overclock just as well and last just as long? So I guess it boils down to do the chokes around the heatsink justify the extra cost?

What about the Z97-pro (wifi), which will save me another $45 to buy a wifi adapter. Its at the same price of the hero. (but without the red/black badassness, damn damn damn asus).

How does the z97pro compares with the ROG boards in terms of overclockability and longevity? Will SATA Express become something redundant within the near future? or will the M.2 on the ROG boards be good enough for a future SSD upgrade?

thanks

Solution
seen the difference, and for $50 more, the Hero is better but not worth it to be put in short. Overclocking will be similar and neither exceeds the other in any huge way. Overclocking is better on ROG boards, but compared to most people's OC, the better capability is almost unnoticeable. The ROG boards SATA 6GB/s are enough for an SSD upgrade in the future.

Colour scheme is important, Get the Ranger!
seen the difference, and for $50 more, the Hero is better but not worth it to be put in short. Overclocking will be similar and neither exceeds the other in any huge way. Overclocking is better on ROG boards, but compared to most people's OC, the better capability is almost unnoticeable. The ROG boards SATA 6GB/s are enough for an SSD upgrade in the future.

Colour scheme is important, Get the Ranger!

Solution