[SOLVED] Which router do I keep?

mrttzr18

Reputable
Mar 16, 2018
I currently have a 1gb internet connection and use it a ton. That's a bunch of IoT, live stream TV, and often run two gaming consoles online at the same time. Occasional lag but why wouldn't I, it's normal. But I unexpectedly just received a Netgear x40 R7600-100NAS router for free unopened. I currently have a Netgear AXR (RAX40) router....
Should I keep my current and sell the new, or is this a useful upgrade that I would see some benefit? Which one is better in your opinion?
Current router:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PCMG75T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.0p9EbNR72RPX
New router:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0192911RA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_D2p9Eb328QXEJ

Solution
Key to router performance is going to be the mix of wifi devices you have. For example if your devices do not run 802.11ax your current router is running 802.11ac just like the new router.

Don't believe the so called coverage numbers. They just pull those out of their ass. The distance the signal goes is a function of the transmit power. The transmit power is limited by the government and almost every modern router transmits at the legal maximum. The much more common issues is the many end devices do not transmit at full power so the signal can not get back to the router.

In some ways I am surprised that the same company claims their 802.11ac router supports more devices. Part of the improvement in 802.11ax is they way...
It really depends on your devices. and which ones are attached to the wifi and which ones are hardwired. I would guess that most of your devices are on the wifi. While most of your devices wont use wifi 6 they might benefit from the improved technology in the wifi 6 router. That said there is a 3rd option.

Sell both and get the more comparable (in terms of price class to the AC2600) AX5400. You'll probably spend a little more but you shouldn't lose any performance or coverage.

Key to router performance is going to be the mix of wifi devices you have. For example if your devices do not run 802.11ax your current router is running 802.11ac just like the new router.

Don't believe the so called coverage numbers. They just pull those out of their ass. The distance the signal goes is a function of the transmit power. The transmit power is limited by the government and almost every modern router transmits at the legal maximum. The much more common issues is the many end devices do not transmit at full power so the signal can not get back to the router.

In some ways I am surprised that the same company claims their 802.11ac router supports more devices. Part of the improvement in 802.11ax is they way it allocates the radio frequencies. It should in theory support more devices. Likely again a number the marketing guys are just making up.

802.11ax is still kinda new so not a lot of end devices support it. Still you see very little hype from actual end customers about how much better it is. It should be a lot better a least on paper but it still very hard to say if it is worth the premium price.

Unless you are thinking about selling the second router new in the box you are in the unique situation you can try and see which is actually better in your house. There is no way to predict this since the house makes a huge difference in the performance of any router.

Solution

mrttzr18

Reputable
Mar 16, 2018
Thank you both for your responses. Yeah the only device I have that supports MU-MIMO is my desktop which I have Ethernet to anyway. The hiccup is indeed that if I were to sell the x45 I would most want to do it still unopened. Hmm, solid answers both validating that this is a tricky decision.