[SOLVED] Which Router for a weak Xfinity hotspot?

Aug 13, 2020
I have Xfinity WIFI at home but I have a vacation home without the cable connection.
There is an Xfinity hotspot nearby but not close. I can connect to it legally with the WIFI card in my desktop computer but it was a very weak connection.
I removed the small antenna on the back of my computer and connected a 19db panel antenna with a cable. It gets a stronger signal but I would like to connect the panel antenna directly to a router so I can connect it to my computer with an Ethernet cable and also provide WIFI connectivity for guests. I am confused by the fact that newer routers have many antennas and by terms like repeater, extender, booster etc so I would like a recommendation for something powerful with one antenna that I can connect my 19db antenna to one for a hotspot.

I presume I can control the router over the Ethernet cable connection

Cheeze

Solution
Just add another card to your desktop. Then turn on internet connection sharing. Way easier. Or buy a cheap used one on eBay and use two cards. It can also act as a very secure router with a PFSense VM. But that's more expert mode.

FYI what you are looking for is a wireless bridge. You could then pipe that into a router. But it would be a real pain to setup. And I'm not sure how it will work out with those Xfinity hotspots.
Just add another card to your desktop. Then turn on internet connection sharing. Way easier. Or buy a cheap used one on eBay and use two cards. It can also act as a very secure router with a PFSense VM. But that's more expert mode.

FYI what you are looking for is a wireless bridge. You could then pipe that into a router. But it would be a real pain to setup. And I'm not sure how it will work out with those Xfinity hotspots.

Solution