[SOLVED] Which router is right for me with over 50 connected devices?

Oct 10, 2021
Little background on what i have connected in my house and how everything is configured.

I am currently using Asus AC 87U as my primary router and it's mounted where all my cat 5e runs are on second floor. Wireless i have 22 smart light switches that sit on 2.4ghz network. In addition 8 POE cameras that are connected to the router in addition to other various cell phones, desktops and tv's. On my first floor i am running AP hardwired connected so there is balance share between what is connected to what. I also do from time to time VPN in to the house so router having that capability is a must.

My AC87u started to restart often so ti's time to replace it. Any router i get it must be mountable as i got no way to place it on my desk.

Can someone recommend something to me? Should i be concern about any router that is not WPA3 compatible? Cell phones and laptop in my house are wpa3 capable and also WIFI 6 compatible as well.

TIA

Solution
That sounds like a defective chip if only the 5g is going down.

Hard to say which router to get. The router you have already has many feature you probably can not use. For example very few end devices support 4x4 mimo and your router is also running something asus calls turboqam which is a non standard data encoding which almost no end device has.

Do not chase big numbers it makes little difference once you get above say 1750. You need end devices that can actually takes advantage of the stuff. The number of end device supported is more a function of traffic. 100 dumb/smart lights is very different than 3 users streaming 4k netflix

I would avoid wifi6 stuff unless you have a number of devices that can use it. wifi6e is...

kanewolf

Titan
Little background on what i have connected in my house and how everything is configured.

I am currently using Asus AC 87U as my primary router and it's mounted where all my cat 5e runs are on second floor. Wireless i have 22 smart light switches that sit on 2.4ghz network. In addition 8 POE cameras that are connected to the router in addition to other various cell phones, desktops and tv's. On my first floor i am running AP hardwired connected so there is balance share between what is connected to what. I also do from time to time VPN in to the house so router having that capability is a must.

My AC87u started to restart often so ti's time to replace it. Any router i get it must be mountable as i got no way to place it on my desk.

Can someone recommend something to me? Should i be concern about any router that is not WPA3 compatible? Cell phones and laptop in my house are wpa3 capable and also WIFI 6 compatible as well.

TIA
I would start by replacing the power supply first. Then after that I would look at adding a fan to combat overheating. I would do both of those before replacing.

WPA3 doesn't benefit you because you would also have to run WPA2 for the other devices. No extra security if you run both.

Oct 10, 2021
I would start by replacing the power supply first. Then after that I would look at adding a fan to combat overheating. I would do both of those before replacing.

WPA3 doesn't benefit you because you would also have to run WPA2 for the other devices. No extra security if you run both.
Sorry i should have been a bit more specific. It's 5G that keeps restarting, 2.4 is stabled. As for temperature it's currently at 46c for 2.4, 56c for 5ghz and 78c for cpu. Is that too hot?

That sounds like a defective chip if only the 5g is going down.

Hard to say which router to get. The router you have already has many feature you probably can not use. For example very few end devices support 4x4 mimo and your router is also running something asus calls turboqam which is a non standard data encoding which almost no end device has.

Do not chase big numbers it makes little difference once you get above say 1750. You need end devices that can actually takes advantage of the stuff. The number of end device supported is more a function of traffic. 100 dumb/smart lights is very different than 3 users streaming 4k netflix

I would avoid wifi6 stuff unless you have a number of devices that can use it. wifi6e is already starting to come to market so if you want wifi6 buy one of those if not wait until the price on wifi6e comes down.

Solution