[SOLVED] Which router modem should I choose?

Jun 7, 2020
I live in a fairly big house (30m x 30m with downstairs brick walls) and I need a router modem placed in one corner to reach every room. I don't need anything fancy, but I do need the wifi to reach. All the extenders I've tried are a waste of time. They are not as powerful as the router itself! My device usage is 12 1 desktop (by ethernet), 3 laptops, 1 tablet, 2 tvs, 1 firewire, 1 printer, 3 mobile phones. The broadband to my desktop is 64 Mbps, but measured through WiFi its about 2.5! Any suggestions please?

Solution
Thanks for your thoughts. Ill have a think about Ethernet cable installation. There are many physical problems due to how the house was constructed. In the mean time which modems & routers should I start looking at?
Your ISP will have a list of supported modems. That is where to start there. Then, IMO, an AC1900 router is the price/performance sweet spot. I like Asus RT-AC68U, personally.

Lutfij

Titan
As for the router's placement you should have it placed at the center of the house, if you were to imagine the house to be a sphere. As for your router, it's best you mention the budget you have in mind, the preferred site for purchase as well as your location.

We could do with information pertaining to the extenders you've used thus far. If possible, can you list the WiFi module (adapter)on your desktop and laptop as well as the models for your other devices?

Jun 7, 2020
Thank you for such a quick reply. I'll try to answer best I can.

As for the router's placement you should have it placed at the center of the house, if you were to imagine the house to be a sphere.
Yes, I know this. However, it is just not practical. I need a LAN connection to my desk-top in my study.

As for your router, it's best you mention the budget you have in mind, the preferred site for purchase as well as your location.
For the right product, budget is unlimited, but I don't want to pay for stuff I don't need. I usually but stuff fro amazon, but I have no allegiance to any particular source. I live near Crewe, Cheshire East.

We could do with information pertaining to the extenders you've used thus far.

MuBoC MB-WIFIKDQ-W
HAMEND WIFI RANGE EXTENDER

If possible, can you list the WiFi module (adapter)on your desktop and laptop as well as the models for your other devices?
Can you explain this a bit more? I don't think my desk top has one. Phones are Samsung Galaxy s7, Laptops 2x HP pavilion, 1 Asus , printer Epson SX425W, tablet Samsung galaxy note 10.1.

Also I have 2 mains extenders. But I think one just failed as it took the internet out of my desktop and Lan connected laptop. They are old talktalk ones. The remaining one works fine and takes a Lan in upstairs, except I have two ring main circuits and if I cross over it reduces signal strength and reliability.

kanewolf

Titan
I live in a fairly big house (30m x 30m with downstairs brick walls) and I need a router modem placed in one corner to reach every room. I don't need anything fancy, but I do need the wifi to reach. All the extenders I've tried are a waste of time. They are not as powerful as the router itself! My device usage is 12 1 desktop (by ethernet), 3 laptops, 1 tablet, 2 tvs, 1 firewire, 1 printer, 3 mobile phones. The broadband to my desktop is 64 Mbps, but measured through WiFi its about 2.5! Any suggestions please?
First DON'T get a modem/router combo. Get a standalone modem and separate router.
A "strong" router is only half the problem. Even if a device can "hear" the router in the corners of the building, it may not be able to transmit back. That still does not work. If you want great WIFI, then spend money to have some ethernet cable professionally installed. Get all your stationary devices connected via a wired network -- TVs, PCs, printer -- all wired. Then install multiple WIFI access points. This distributes the WIFI load among multiple radios and allows low power devices like phones to easily broadcast back to the radio.

Jun 7, 2020
Thanks for your thoughts. Ill have a think about Ethernet cable installation. There are many physical problems due to how the house was constructed. In the mean time which modems & routers should I start looking at?

The mains relay is good. Perhaps I can relay to upstairs an put a booster on that works. Is there a good one?
(my mains is in two sections - both link upstairs with downstairs)

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Your ISP will have a list of supported modems. That is where to start there. Then, IMO, an AC1900 router is the price/performance sweet spot. I like Asus RT-AC68U, personally.

Solution