[SOLVED] which router to buy for fiber optic? do i need sfp converter?

xxfmsxx

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
hi,

i havent been up to date with fiber optic internet most of my knowledge is from adsl router, i was wondering if i could upgrade my huawei hg8244h (fiber optic router ethernet only) to a wifi router with fiber optic modem built in,<i just mentioned fiber optic modem as i dont know if fiber need to dialup to isp or plug and play

i have been searching online for a wifi router with fiber optic input but i cant seem to find one does it even exist?
what is sfp does it work with isp fiber optic and connect to internet?
i see that there is couple of option some of them are based on range lets say i got 40km sfp or longer distance and connected the ethernet to xbox directly would it work? regard less would a sfp reduce latency as i have 145ms latency with xbox live connecting directly to hg8244h which fiber is connected to internally without a transceiver

the reason i want to upgrade:

there is download speed fluctuation from 270mbps to 100mbps to 1mbps to 20mbps to 60mbps to 250mbps

is to remove the secondary router to remove overhead if there is any

have a qos for xbox

be able to use vpn for xbox i would prefer if i could get openvpn as i cant seem to get l2tp to work on huawei fiber router maybe its firmware block by isp or something else, i think this mean i might i need dd-wrt router

dual wan i do have two 300mbps internet at home

have wifi access point as a primary router maybe something with better range than hg659

Solution
It is highly likely the ISP will not let you replace the router or you must buy it from them.

The reason you can not find stuff is fiber to the home is still not even close to standard. This is not gigabit ethernet it is generally something called gpon.

There are way to many sub models from huawei so I am not sure if that is a just a ONT or a ONT with a 1 port router.

You should be able to plug your xbox in and it should get the speed you pay your ISP for. If it does not you should call them.

This is a strange device that only has 1 ethernet port. Maybe the ISP or you can convert it to just a dumb ONT/modem. You can then place any router behind it. You can place a router behind it anyway but running 2 routers in the...
It is highly likely the ISP will not let you replace the router or you must buy it from them.

The reason you can not find stuff is fiber to the home is still not even close to standard. This is not gigabit ethernet it is generally something called gpon.

There are way to many sub models from huawei so I am not sure if that is a just a ONT or a ONT with a 1 port router.

You should be able to plug your xbox in and it should get the speed you pay your ISP for. If it does not you should call them.

This is a strange device that only has 1 ethernet port. Maybe the ISP or you can convert it to just a dumb ONT/modem. You can then place any router behind it. You can place a router behind it anyway but running 2 routers in the path causes issues for UPnP that games consoles use to solve the NAT issues.

Solution

Latest posts