Question Which routers do support 802.1x supplicant mode for wired connections?

HolmesSherlock

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
My home network is behind an Ethernet connection that requires 802.1x authentication (PEAP, MSCHAPv2, username-password). The connection provided by the authorities through a Aruba 303H access point installed at my premises. I have no control on the access point. However, I can either connect my laptop to the WiFi network it creates using WPA2 Enterprise, or plug my laptop to one of the four Ethernet ports and authenticate using 802.1x.

I am desperately looking for a router capable of authenticating as a 802.1x supplicant; in the same my my laptop authenticates itself. The hope is to be able to create my own home WiFi network and connect to it. I have a classic TP-Link WR740N. But, looks like the factory firmware is not capable of working as a 802.1x supplicant for wired networks. People have reported to flash OpenWRT on it, and use wpa_supplicant for the purpose. What bothers me is, I don't think my use-case is very special and several mainstream routers should be supporting it. Google didn't help me much in finding an appropriate router. Can anyone suggest me any mainstream router that can perform 802.1x authentication as a supplicant over the wired network?

TRENDING THREADS