[SOLVED] which runs generally cooler: Ryzen 7 4700U or Intel core i7- 10750H

Solution
In theory the 4700U runs cooler however we have seen reviews where the AMD models have been equipped with cheaper and weaker cooling so the benefit to the customer is lost. You have to look at reviews for the specific laptop model.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
these two processors come in is the Dell Inspiron 14 7000 2-in-1 laptop for the ryzen 4700U and the Dell XPS 15 laptop for the i7-10750H. I know these are two different lines from Dell. I can't decide if I want to dish out the money for the XPS 15. if the inspiron with the ryzen runs cooler, that's an incentive to get the cheaper Inspiron.

USAFRet

Titan
these two processors come in is the Dell Inspiron 14 7000 2-in-1 laptop for the ryzen 4700U and the Dell XPS 15 laptop for the i7-10750H. I know these are two different lines from Dell. I can't decide if I want to dish out the money for the XPS 15. if the inspiron with the ryzen runs cooler, that's an incentive to get the cheaper Inspiron.
The question is not "which CPU", but rather "which laptop"?
And is the difference significant enough to affect actual performance?

Reactions: Phaaze88 and RodroX

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
my son will use it for school during the school year and on weekends and summer I will use it for office, browsing watching youtube, and maybe some photo editing. I don't think of it as "what do I do with it now", rather I tend to think "what do I do with it now and what will I do with it later". the problem with the photo editing, I would probably need the XPS 15 since it has the better screen and close to 100% sRGB color. but its alot more expensive. that's part of the dilemma. which cpu would you get given the same cooling?

USAFRet

Titan
my son will use it for school during the school year and on weekends and summer I will use it for office, browsing watching youtube, and maybe some photo editing. I don't think of it as "what do I do with it now", rather I tend to think "what do I do with it now and what will I do with it later". the problem with the photo editing, I would probably need the XPS 15 since it has the better screen and close to 100% sRGB color. but its alot more expensive. that's part of the dilemma. which cpu would you get given the same cooling?
If you need the 2-1 and touchscreen, then your choice is made.

'Temperature' is not really a decision point. Either of them will perform adequately.
Features and price point are the key issues.

Reactions: Phaaze88