[SOLVED] Which Ryzen CPU to get? Or maybe I don't even need one?

QwerkyPengwen

Dignified
Herald
OK. I'll keep it simple.

I currently have a 6700K and Z170 board.

I am happy with it's performance overclocked at 4.6GHz.

But unfortunately, I have some RGB components that I can't customize because the board doesn't have RGB headers.

And last I checked, there wasn't anything I could do to get the ability to customize the RGB of these components using software.
(I even asked here on these forums to no avail as it seemed nobody had any answers for me, so I am lead to believe I just need a motherboard with RGB headers)

And thusly, I am looking to upgrade my platform.

But I am also not looking to spend more than is necessary.

Basically all I need is the Ryzen equivalent of my 6700K at it's current overclock.

I will of course overclock the Ryzen CPU to try and get a matched performance.

I will buy an X470 Gigabyte board.

I will buy 3200MHz Trident Z RGB (cuz if I have to buy faster RAM than what I already have then I might as well spend just a few extra bucks on RGB while I'm at it)

After doing a little research it is looking as though a Ryzen 5 2600 overclocked to about 4.2GHz will do the trick, but would like some insight from others on the matter.

Again. Not looking to go balls to the walls here.
Just looking to change up for RGB headers, and to get the same performance as what I currently have and spend as little as possible doing it.

For anyone out there who maybe actually can help in the original issue I will say this:
The main issue for RGB is the Cooler Master Masterfan MF120-R aRGB fans that came in a 3in1 package, and some light strips I will be adding later that I already have.
But because my board doesn't have RGB headers I cannot control the lighting using software.
And I looked into what I possibly may need extra to plug in that could give me this control, but came up short with nothing.
I though something like the Cooler Master LED controller, or Pro hub might work, but couldn't find a single shred of documentation or a video that said this would work on a board that doesn't have RGB headers, and nobody here back when I asked about this could give me any help at all.

But maybe that has changed, and it would work and be cheaper.

If not, then I will be needing a motherboard with RGB headers, and the cheapest option I know of is to upgrade to Ryzen.

For further reference, I have an overclocked 1080 Ti and I game at 1440p on a G-Sync monitor, so when comparing CPU performance in gaming to my 6700K, it will be at 1440p on G-Sync with a 1080 Ti.

If you feel like you need any more specs, just check my signature for the CPU-Z validation.

If it doesn't provide enough info on my hardware, and you need more, then you can ask for what else you need to know.

QwerkyPengwen

Dignified
Herald
i believe u can get a strix Z270 that has RGB headers and keep the rest of your system
Your right, I could get the cheapest Z270 on PCPP which is the ASRock Extreme 4.

But what about the LED controller or something from Cooler Master.
Does that work simply through just a USB header connection with no need for RGB headers?
This was my main problem and why I am looking to get a different motherboard because I couldn't find anything that definitively said that this was the case.

hotaru251

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014
Your right, I could get the cheapest Z270 on PCPP which is the ASRock Extreme 4.

But what about the LED controller or something from Cooler Master.
Does that work simply through just a USB header connection with no need for RGB headers?
This was my main problem and why I am looking to get a different motherboard because I couldn't find anything that definitively said that this was the case.
soemthing like this?
https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-mfy-rcsn-nnudk-r1-black/p/N82E16811999379?Description=rgb controller&cm_re=rgb_controller-_-11-999-379-_-Product

casue it does say

"Have the PC lighting you want without an RGB capable motherboard. This compact controller easily fits inside your case. It can conveniently attach to any metallic surface with built-in magnet. "

just make sure your MB has the required connection (think that one is a usb header?)

QwerkyPengwen

Dignified
Herald
soemthing like this?
https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-mfy-rcsn-nnudk-r1-black/p/N82E16811999379?Description=rgb controller&cm_re=rgb_controller--11-999-379--Product

casue it does say

"Have the PC lighting you want without an RGB capable motherboard. This compact controller easily fits inside your case. It can conveniently attach to any metallic surface with built-in magnet. "

just make sure your MB has the required connection (think that one is a usb header?)
Yeah. That's the one. And when I originally looked into it, I couldn't find jack all for software for it and the breakdown of the hardware and how it worked and what it worked with was obscure as hell, but that's changed a little bit now I guess.

Also another dumb thing is that it only seems to be available from an international seller on Newegg.

Why wouldn't it be available directly from their site, or from Amazon or something?

I guess with the introduction nowadays of RGB headers on everything, it's become kind of pointless for it to be sold everywhere, but still.

I'll look into it a little bit more to make sure it's not a waste of money, and if it doens't pan out then I at least can buy a Z270 board.

Thanks.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS