Question Which Ryzen CPU would suit me best?

Jun 3, 2019
Hey guys, currently I am upgrading my PC part for part and at this point it is all about a new CPU, mobo and RAM since I come from an i5 4460 and it starts getting dusty. I waited for some months now for Zen 2 release mainly because I wanted to know about the difference in performance and how much the Zen+ prices will drop. Now I considered a 2600X/3600 for a long time but actually I think i might be better of with a 2700X or a 3700X due to the 8 cores.
The main use of my PC is Gaming but I am looking forward to some streaming too. Also I am doing some music production stuff and I use a lot of programs simultaneously a lot of the time which is why I think 8 cores would be the best bet and give me more room to do certain stuff. The problem is at this point I really suffer in deciding what to get. The 3700X seems like the best way to go but it is definitely not in my budget anymore at this point. Especially considering the problems with 2nd gen boards. Well, the 2700X however dropped to 235€ and would be a great deal especially considering I won't have any bad surprises with motherboards.
My only problem is the high TDP and the increase in power usage over a 2700 or even a 3700X. So my first question would be if this is really that much of a problem and if the power draw of the 2700X is really that high. My next question would be if it would make any sense to get a 2600X now since it is just 145€ and wait some months until the 3700X is cheaper and compatibility with B450/X470 boards is not a hit or miss thing anymore. I am sure atm this CPU would still be a big enough upgrade.

Or would a 3600 be enough for my needs? I do want a CPU that fits my needs some years, no upgrade until at least 2021 intended. The only compromise I would be down to is 2600X and then a 3700X if I would benefit enough from 3700X over 2700X and the price drops to somewhere around 275 to 300 in the next months. Also I do not trust B450/X470 and Zen 2 atm and
I do not want an overpriced X570 board.

As for mainboards I consider a B450 Tomahawk, a B450 Gaming Pro Carbon or a B450 ROG Strix F since several shops here do not have any Tomahawks or Gaming Pro Carbons in stock anymore or want a good 20 to 30 bucks more than 1 month ago.

Thx tho and sorry if anything is unclear, I am in a hurry

The average person doesn't need 8 cores, and probably won't see a benefit from it for a few years. The 3600 would be the best CPU for you in my opinion.

As for the motherboard, getting a 400 series board shouldn't be a problem. AMD is doing the same thing they did last time and are providing a CPU that will allow for flashing an older motherboard BIOS. Info here.

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...pgrade-kit-for-ryzen-3000-motherboard-updates

Reactions: Cobaltstring
If you were just gaming, i'd recommend the 3600 as that is the best value for the money. However triple A titles are starting to optimize for higher core count Ryzen processors and the added cpu demands of streaming, 8 cores/16 threads would be a minimum requirement for good quality streaming. That being said, the 3700x has my vote. My suggestion is to wait until black friday deals. AMD always reduces prices then.

Reactions: Cobaltstring
Jun 3, 2019
If you were just gaming, i'd recommend the 3600 as that is the best value for the money. However triple A titles are starting to optimize for higher core count Ryzen processors and the added cpu demands of streaming, 8 cores/16 threads would be a minimum requirement for good quality streaming. That being said, the 3700x has my vote. My suggestion is to wait until black friday deals. AMD always reduces prices then.
I am really considering to buy a 3600 now and pair it with a 200$ X570 board, probably the Gaming Edge Wifi. If I really need those extra cores somewhere in the future I could still upgrade to a cheaper 3700X or even 3900X or maybe the newer 4000 8 cores next year though and sell the 3600. I think for gaming and some music production and light editing the 3600 is plenty for now. Also games I would consider to stream (just for fun for now tbh) would be Dark Souls and maybe some other stuff but nothing AAA. Guess that would be cheap for now and assure me enough room to upgrade if I really get to the point where 6 cores are limiting my experience. Either way, coming form a 4460 with 4 cores and only 4 threads any Ryzen 5 or 7 would be a major upgrade though.