Which Samsung M.2 for ASUS Prime x470-pro? Help for noob.

Sep 7, 2018
Which Samsung M.2 for ASUS Prime x470-pro? Believe it or not despite being 40 and building and owning multiple gaming rigs in my time I´ve never yet owned an SSD of ANY kind. Mainly due to not being that bothered about loading times and paranoid about losing data.

So Im awaiting delivery of a ASUS Prime x470-pro and these M.2 slots are confusing the hell out of me. I can see the Samsung 970 evo looks like a straight fit (downloaded the MB manual), well visually they look the same fitment (single cutout)

However I see the 860 evo is a good deal cheaper (1tb here is almost the same as 500gb 970) but it has two cutouts at the end of the board?

Will the 860 play nicely with both the single cutout sockets on the motherboard? Im guessing as ive never had an SSD (i do sort of understand the difference i.e the 860 is sata speeds and the 970 pciex4 speeds) the sata speed will feel plenty quick enough.

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.

Solution
you noted the main difference one is sata speed the other pcie speed, so the evo 970 will be around 3 to 4 times faster, but honestly if you feel that sata ssd is enough (i think so) then get more storage by going with the 1tb drive. they both should work just fine in that mb.

summary: if you want to brag or like benchmarks go with the evo 970 if you need more storage capacity go with the 860, both will work and will be really fast.

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
you noted the main difference one is sata speed the other pcie speed, so the evo 970 will be around 3 to 4 times faster, but honestly if you feel that sata ssd is enough (i think so) then get more storage by going with the 1tb drive. they both should work just fine in that mb.

summary: if you want to brag or like benchmarks go with the evo 970 if you need more storage capacity go with the 860, both will work and will be really fast.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS