[SOLVED] Which settings in Windows cause high dwm usage?

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
Greetings. so I was having high dwm usage that spiked up to 1GB ram usage and didn't go down when I closed the application that caused it so I had to shut it down, of which I later knew from the forum'd Discord that it was harmful in the long run so I went to Win 10 Appearance and set it to Performance mode then everything looked potato. so I enabled 'Smooth edges of screen fonts' setting and things looked better again. now what annoys me is that there is a disabled setting I don't know that makes Discord loading animations not load, plus Discord text messages not having a distinguishable background and I want to turn those on as well as knowing the specific option(s) that cause very high dwm usage, thanks. View: https://i.imgur.com/K1489nu.png

Also, I noticed that even with everything off except for that one setting, dwm still used 150MB while all I had open with about 40 Chrome tabs and Discord, even after closing both of them it still remained on that usage so I'm pretty convinced that Appearance settings aren't the issue then? I should also say that I only have 8GB of ram, some of them are dedicated to my iGPU and I can't be anything but picky about my ram usage.

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
one is executable, the other is compressed (to save internet bandwith)
.exe you can run right away after downloading, .zip needs to be decompressed first before you can run .exe from inside
It is actually true that my games mostly crash when I'm multitasking because of ram usage, but my system never crashed. I always knew something was wrong but I didn't know what, couldn't be any better to find it now.

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
one is executable, the other is compressed (to save internet bandwith)
.exe you can run right away after downloading, .zip needs to be decompressed first before you can run .exe from inside
Got the exe one, installed it and rebooted. dwm usage started at 32MB and is now 40MB. what is the maximum memory usage that I should be expecting of it exactly?
(It also dropped to 36MB from 40 after posting this)

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
Also I would disable automatic driver updates. At least in may case Windows had a nasty habit of rolling the driver back to faulty version until I changed that.
Can you please tell me how to? thanks.
I'm also wondering if there could be a memory leak for Chrome too? 40 tabs of which I use only about 10 of them use 1.5GB memory while my old DDR3 ram PC would use 3GB for about 300+ tabs open which is crazy, right?
Also, Antimalware service executable ranges between 115MB and 195MB, is that normal?

Can you please tell me how to? thanks.
There you go
I'm also wondering if there could be a memory leak for Chrome too?
Never used Chrome so no idea. But note that app needs some RAM for its own needs, and then some amount per tab open - so it will look like it uses much more with less tabs open.
Also, Antimalware service executable ranges between 115MB and 195MB, is that normal?
Yeah, looks normal.