[SOLVED] Which Should I Buy?

Kultivater

Commendable
Aug 30, 2020
I face a bit of a conundrum. I'm about to buy a fully built pc(because it's ironically cheaper right now than building one yourself part by part). I believe I've narrowed it down to two: I'm looking at one that is going for $1424 that has an Intel Core i9 9900k, 16GB DDR4, and a GeForce RTX 2080 ti., and another going for $1680 with an AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, same RAM, and a GeForce RTX 3060. Now, I'm 100% an AMD fan. If I had a choice in the matter, I'd put nothing but AMD in my rig(my current rig is 100% AMD). However. skyrocketing prices and incredibly limited part availability has forced me to consider Intel and Nvidia(ugh). Here's my conundrum: The Ryzen 7 is not only way better than the i9, but it also leaves open big possibilities for upgrade, without even having to swap boards and RAM. However, the RTX 2080 ti is way better than the 3060. GPU prices as they are, I wanted to get the best GPU possible in whatever rig I buy, and upgrade the CPU later, however, being that I'm faced with an i9, that seems more trouble than it's worth, so I'm leaning toward the Ryzen 7, even ignoring my bias toward AMD. What does everyone else think?

Solution
For most games, it is the graphics card that matters most.
Today, most any current gen processor in the $200 class will do the job.
Here is a review of the $160 I5-11400f:
Considering the nasty current graphics card situation, shop for the graphics card first.

Can you supply links to the options you are considering?
For one thing, ryzen will need fast ram for best performance.
For another, pre builts often include power supplies that preclude upgrades.

Kultivater

Commendable
Aug 30, 2020
Intel for pre-built PC, AMD for self-built PC.

Not a rule, just a reference.

I guess since both CPUs perform almost exactly the same(with the i9 pulling slightly ahead in certain areas) in gaming, since the i9 comes with a much better GPU, I should probably go that route. I just really don't want an Intel/Nvidia rig. I'd feel dirty.

I face a bit of a conundrum. I'm about to buy a fully built pc(because it's ironically cheaper right now than building one yourself part by part). I believe I've narrowed it down to two: I'm looking at one that is going for $1424 that has an Intel Core i9 9900k, 16GB DDR4, and a GeForce RTX 2080 ti., and another going for $1680 with an AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, same RAM, and a GeForce RTX 3060. Now, I'm 100% an AMD fan. If I had a choice in the matter, I'd put nothing but AMD in my rig(my current rig is 100% AMD). However. skyrocketing prices and incredibly limited part availability has forced me to consider Intel and Nvidia(ugh). Here's my conundrum: The Ryzen 7 is not only way better than the i9, but it also leaves open big possibilities for upgrade, without even having to swap boards and RAM. However, the RTX 2080 ti is way better than the 3060. GPU prices as they are, I wanted to get the best GPU possible in whatever rig I buy, and upgrade the CPU later, however, being that I'm faced with an i9, that seems more trouble than it's worth, so I'm leaning toward the Ryzen 7, even ignoring my bias toward AMD. What does everyone else think?
It comes down to what you use your PC for. If its for gaming and you're on a budget then the i5 11400/11400F is the way to go. If you have an extra hundred dollars to blow for a few more FPS then the 5600X is the way to go. Any AMD Ryzen cpu below the 5600X isn't anything that should be recommended for a gaming build. As far as upgrading goes ... both Intel (Nov '21) and AMD (early '22) will have new sockets that will include DDR5, new motherboards and new cpu's.

For most games, it is the graphics card that matters most.
Today, most any current gen processor in the $200 class will do the job.
Here is a review of the $160 I5-11400f:
Considering the nasty current graphics card situation, shop for the graphics card first.

Can you supply links to the options you are considering?
For one thing, ryzen will need fast ram for best performance.
For another, pre builts often include power supplies that preclude upgrades.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
However, the RTX 2080 ti is way better than the 3060. GPU prices as they are, I wanted to get the best GPU possible in whatever rig I buy, and upgrade the CPU later

So get the system with the better GPU. CPUs are so fast these days it really doesn't make any difference either way in games. The need to upgrade CPUs from an 8-Core, 16-thread monster capable of boosting up to 5Ghz on stock is very far away.

With either of the systems you posted you would not need to upgrade the CPU for years. By which time you would need a new motherboard anyway, so at that point you can pick AMD or Intel all over again. Assuming quantum computing hasn't made the concept of a CPU irrelevant by then anyway.

Reactions: Dean0919 and Why_Me

Kultivater

Commendable
Aug 30, 2020
My point was that the i9 has zero upgrades available without replacement of board/RAM. The Ryzen 7 has the Ryzen 9 dodeca-core, and the Ryzen 9 hexadeca-core(both of which utterly destroy the i9) that are compatible with the same AM4 board as it. The Ryzen 7 3800x actually almost exactly matches the i9 9900k, though the i9 does very slightly pull ahead sometimes in gaming, depending on the scenario. Anyway, I went to CLX and built a custom build with the Ryzen 7 3800x, the Radeon 6700 xt, 16GB RAM, and liquid cooling(mid tower, full size ATX board) for $1752. In today's world of triple MSRP GPUs, that's an unbeatable price, especially for a brand new rig. So unfortunate that it's come to prebuilt rigs being cheaper than buying part by part and building it oneself, but it is what it is. Most benchmarks show the 2080 ti beating the 6700 xt, though in reality, the 6700 xt usually gets between 5 and 10 more FPS at 1080p. This rig will suit me fine until the GPU market finally goes back to MSRP, at which time I'll likely buy a 6900 xt, and coast along until I feel that I need a Ryzen 9.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
My point was that the i9 has zero upgrades available without replacement of board/RAM. The Ryzen 7 has the Ryzen 9 dodeca-core, and the Ryzen 9 hexadeca-core(both of which utterly destroy the i9) that are compatible with the same AM4 board as it. The Ryzen 7 3800x actually almost exactly matches the i9 9900k, though the i9 does very slightly pull ahead sometimes in gaming, depending on the scenario. Anyway, I went to CLX and built a custom build with the Ryzen 7 3800x, the Radeon 6700 xt, 16GB RAM, and liquid cooling(mid tower, full size ATX board) for $1752. In today's world of triple MSRP GPUs, that's an unbeatable price, especially for a brand new rig. So unfortunate that it's come to prebuilt rigs being cheaper than buying part by part and building it oneself, but it is what it is. Most benchmarks show the 2080 ti beating the 6700 xt, though in reality, the 6700 xt usually gets between 5 and 10 more FPS at 1080p. This rig will suit me fine until the GPU market finally goes back to MSRP, at which time I'll likely buy a 6900 xt, and coast along until I feel that I need a Ryzen 9.
You let your anti-Intel bias get the better of you, and paid more for a (marginally) slower system. The advice you got in this thread was good, but you decided to ignore it and go fully AMD anyway.

But that’s cool. Its your money spend it how you want.

Reactions: Dean0919

Kultivater

Commendable
Aug 30, 2020
A marginally slower system that can be upgraded to a 12, or even 16 core CPU with the same board and RAM, (unlike the i9 9900k, which is indeed a bad*** 8 core CPU, but the best possible with its chipset) which ultimately does two things: #1 it future-proofs my rig, #2 it saves me hundreds of dollars. So... could you explain to me how this decision was a mistake because the i9 happens to be "marginally" faster? I appreciate everyone's advice. I simply disagreed with it. The decision I made gives me more powerful options for ultimately less money and hassle.

Edit for profanity. I forget this place endorses censorship.

Last edited:
There are two main components of processor performance.

1. single thread performance. At the top end, intel 11th gen or amd 5000 series, are as good as it gets.
Single thread passmark ratings in the 3500 range.
Older gen intel or amd may be in the 2600 range.
FWIW, the FX-8350 rating is an abysmal 1565.

2. How many threads.
Most games can only make effective use of 4-6 threads.
Do not be misled if there is Task manager activity on all threads. That is just windows spreading out the activity over all cores.
Some games like multiplayer with many participants can use more threads.

If the main use for the pc is for multithreaded batch apps that can actually use many threads, then amd has the advantage there.

Kultivater

Commendable
Aug 30, 2020
There are two main components of processor performance.

1. single thread performance. At the top end, intel 11th gen or amd 5000 series, are as good as it gets.
Single thread passmark ratings in the 3500 range.
Older gen intel or amd may be in the 2600 range.
FWIW, the FX-8350 rating is an abysmal 1565.

2. How many threads.
Most games can only make effective use of 4-6 threads.
Do not be misled if there is Task manager activity on all threads. That is just windows spreading out the activity over all cores.
Some games like multiplayer with many participants can use more threads.

If the main use for the pc is for multithreaded batch apps that can actually use many threads, then amd has the advantage there.

Yes, I'm very aware of how it works. I appreciate the intention behind your explanation, though. The Ryzen 9 5900, which utterly destroys the i9 9900k passmark, operates on AM4 chipsets, just like the Ryzen 7 3800x.On the Intel side, the i9 9900k is the most powerful CPU you can put into an LGA 1151 socket. Anything higher and you need a new board, as I said several times already. This is the primary reason I went with the AMD setup., regardless of my personal bias. Facts are facts.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I guess since both CPUs perform almost exactly the same(with the i9 pulling slightly ahead in certain areas) in gaming, since the i9 comes with a much better GPU, I should probably go that route. I just really don't want an Intel/Nvidia rig. I'd feel dirty.
Then why did you even post you paid over 300 more for less performance just to stick to AMD the logic of that is great.

By the time you need to upgrade the AM4 platform will be long gone unless you wait 3 or 4 years and take a baby step up to the 5XXX.

And no the 6700X does not match the performance of the 2080ti!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6gzgVE72Y

EDIT I'm a fan of price to performance not a brand! I'd feel dirty knowing I paid more for less.

Last edited:

Kultivater

Commendable
Aug 30, 2020
Then why did you even post you paid over 300 more for less performance just to stick to AMD the logic of that is great.

By the time you need to upgrade the AM4 platform will be long gone unless you wait 3 or 4 years and take a baby step up to the 5XXX.

And no the 6700X does not match the performance of the 2080ti!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6gzgVE72Y

EDIT I'm a fan of price to performance not a brand! I'd feel dirty knowing I paid more for less.

I came here because I was looking at two specific computers for purchase and wanted outside opinions. I didn't know CLX was selling brand new ones relatively cheap at the time.

Also, yes it does. Most of the time anyway, at 1080p. Radeon excels at 1080p, and GeForce excels at higher ones. Radeon almost always beats out GeForce at 1080p. Watch the benchmarks for yourself if you'd like. It even usually scores better than the 3060 ti.

In 4 years, the Ryzen 9 5900 will still be one of the best gaming CPUs money can buy. AMD releasing a higher end socket type does not make current ones obsolete. I'm still saving money and achieving better performance. The i9 9900k barely outperforms the Ryzen 7 3800x, and the 9 5900 will cost me less money to install than any Intel chip that beats it for many years to come.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I came here because I was looking at two specific computers for purchase and wanted outside opinions. I didn't know CLX was selling brand new ones relatively cheap at the time.

Also, yes it does. Most of the time anyway, at 1080p. Radeon excels at 1080p, and GeForce excels at higher ones. Radeon almost always beats out GeForce at 1080p. Watch the benchmarks for yourself if you'd like. It even usually scores better than the 3060 ti.

In 4 years, the Ryzen 9 5900 will still be one of the best gaming CPUs money can buy. AMD releasing a higher end socket type does not make current ones obsolete. I'm still saving money and achieving better performance. The i9 9900k barely outperforms the Ryzen 7 3800x, and the 9 5900 will cost me less money to install than any Intel chip that beats it for many years to come.
Sorry but that is completely wrong the 6700XT does not beat the 2080ti and in 4 years if you buy a 5XXX processor you will be behind by probably at least 30% or more in the CPU performance

EDIT already 30% in just 3 years from the 1600X to 5600X.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/4084vs3920

EDIT when you make bad choices because of a brand you made a bad decision then you live with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same as you made before the AMD FX series were the worst thing AMD ever came out with.

Your money I could care 100% less what you spend it on you asked and got about a 100% response that your making a mistake but you got to have AMD so again I have no clue why you even started this post?

I have no clue why your now trying to compare the 6700XT to the 3060ti since we were talking about the 2080ti that also beats the 3060ti

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpTe_XHkQBM

Your starting to sound like this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvaDu-VQfd4

Last edited:

jasonf2

Distinguished
My son just asked a pretty similar question regarding AMD or Intel. This is always somewhat of a matter of opinion because either are valid choices. Intel has fallen behind at the very top end of processors, but has managed to keep 14nm valid in all segments under it even though the chips are pretty power hungry. Early ryzen was a deal. That is no longer the case. AMD has moved its price points enough that Intel is often the better price. Both companies put out good products. If you are wanting upgrade paths you are really wasting your time here anyways. These are prebuilt machines that are notorious for custom bios and limited if non existent firmware updates to support the latest and greatest chips regardless of generic chipset support. In my experience the biggest things to watch in prebuilt land isn't the advertised stuff, it is the underlying stuff like rust drives instead of SSDs that make your advertised stuff like discrete graphics and CPU meaningless without an immediate upgrade. I have ran both brands over the years (currently AMD because at the time it was the better deal) and in honesty lean towards Intel, even with the process issues they have had.

Kultivater

Commendable
Aug 30, 2020
Sorry but that is completely wrong the 6700XT does not beat the 2080ti and in 4 years if you buy a 5XXX processor you will be behind by probably at least 30% or more in the CPU performance

EDIT already 30% in just 3 years from the 1600X to 5600X.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/4084vs3920

EDIT when you make bad choices because of a brand you made a bad decision then you live with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same as you made before the AMD FX series were the worst thing AMD ever came out with.

Your money I could care 100% less what you spend it on you asked and got about a 100% response that your making a mistake but you got to have AMD so again I have no clue why you even started this post?

I have no clue why your now trying to compare the 6700XT to the 3060ti since we were talking about the 2080ti that also beats the 3060ti

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpTe_XHkQ

Your starting to sound like this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvaDu-VQfd4

I'm at work right now, so I'll have to prove my words to you later. I get the feeling it won't matter though. Denying facts seems to be your forte.