Which should I buy?

PR0type

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I'm buying a new computer.But I don't know what is good for me..

Here is My System

INTEL Core2 Duo E6600
CORSAIR 1 GB DDR2 667 MHZ PC2 5300 RAM
WD 250 GB 7200 RPM 16 MB CACHE SATAII HDD
ASUS DRW-1608P 16X +/- DVDRW
FEEL FEEL TORNADA F5 550W
SAMSUNG 17" 740N LCD MONITOR 1280X1024 SİYAH 8MS
A4 TECH KB21 KABLOLU KLAVYE + OP620 MOUSE SET
ALPS-MITSUMI 1.44 MB FLOPPY BLACK
MSI MSI VT2D512E RX1950PRO 512MB 256BIT PCIEX GRAPHIC CARD

But I don't know which mainboard should I buy.. I have this things looks like good..

There three differents things..

ASUS P5N32_SLI DELUXE
GIGABYTE P965 ICH8R CORE 2 DUO 1066 MHZ
GIGABYTE 965P-DQ6 1066FSB PCIEX CORE2 DUO LGA 775

Could you tell me which?

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I'm buying a new computer.But I don't know what is good for me..

It's very hard to make any kind of a suggestion without having any idea of how the system is expected to be used. It would help to know what sort of things you expect to do with the new system. It would probably also help if you could say a word or two about why you picked the components you listed.

Have you already purchased them or is this still just a proposal for a system you think you want to buy?

-john, the ostensibly clueless redundant legacy-in-transition dinosaur

PR0type

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
' this still just a proposal for a system you think you want to buy '

I'm buying this.. But I have no idea about Motherboard so I asked you..

These three motherboard?

ASUS P5N32_SLI DELUXE

Which should I buy?

' What do you want with this system? '

This is answer : I want play all the games, and Surfing in the Net..

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
the DQ6 is a great board, just done a very similar gaming machine for a friend with that board

on the rest of your spec, personally I would go for an E6300 and over clock to 3.2ghz, I'd suggest 2GB of DDR-800 RAM as games are starting to get very hungry for it, and use the money you save on the processor to get a better graphics card (like an 8800GTS)

also, what do you need a floppy drive for? does anyone actually still use those?

PR0type

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
the DQ6 is a great board, just done a very similar gaming machine for a friend with that board

on the rest of your spec, personally I would go for an E6300 and over clock to 3.2ghz, I'd suggest 2GB of DDR-800 RAM as games are starting to get very hungry for it, and use the money you save on the processor to get a better graphics card (like an 8800GTS)

also, what do you need a floppy drive for? does anyone actually still use those?

Eh.. You said for this system ' GIGABYTE 965P-DQ6 1066FSB PCIEX CORE2 DUO LGA 775 ' isn't it?

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
ASUS P5N32_SLI DELUXE
Well, since you are not providing much info to work with, I'll resort to guessing. :) Since you've picked DDR-667 RAM I'll guess that you are not planning to overclock. If that's the case, then for gaming and surfing just about any current, mid-range Core 2 capable motherboard would be more than adequate for your needs. And while I may have some questions about your other choices, if you're happy with them then it's all good, I suppose.

I am confused by the first item in your motherboard list, the ASUS P5N32_SLI DELUXE. First, I don't see why you would even consider a SLI motherboard when you've apparently decided to get an ATI graphics card. You won't be able to make use of the SLI capability of the motherboard with an ATI graphics card, so why pay for it? :?

Second, I'm not sure which board you're actually talking about. The closest match I could find for that descripton on newegg.com was the ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe NVIDIA nForce4. You wouldn't want this motherboard unless you are getting a really good price for it. It uses the older nForce4 chipset. So I assume you probably meant to list some other Asus Core 2 motherboard. Perhaps the ASUS P5N-E SLI NVIDIA nForce 650i or the ASUS P5N32-E SLI NVIDIA nForce 680i ?

I'm also not sure which motherboard the second item in your list refers to. At first I assumed that the "GIGABYTE P965 ICH8R" was a reference to the GA-965P-DS3 (... which, FWIW, is the motherboard I bought). But the GA-965P-DS3 uses the Intel ICH8 southbridge, not the ICH8R. So I really am not sure which Gigabyte motherboard you were thinking of here. :?

The GIGABYTE 965P-DQ6 is a good enough board, but overkill for the uses you mentioned. You'd be paying more than you need to. (IMO, you'd be better off paying less for a motherboard and spending a little more on RAM so you could get 2GB rather than 1GB).

PR0type

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
My friend made this list. I don't know anything about the Motherboards!

What do you give me for Motherboard Advice ?

Good for me? or not? Whick Motherboard you suggest me?

Tell only this.. Yeah you sure.. I don't want do overclock..

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
My friend made this list. I don't know anything about the Motherboards! What do you give me for Motherboard Advice ?
Well, in that case you might ask you friend why he picked the items he did and which motherboards he was really thinking of. :) It's really hard to make any suggestions without getting a better feel both for what you expect your system to do and what component choices are available to you. (I assume you live outside the US so I wouldn't know what might be good choices where your live).

As I said, the GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 is a good enough board. But you haven't mentioned anything yet to make me think the DQ6 has some function or feature which would be worth the extra money you'd pay for it. From what you've said so far I'd suggest looking at boards that don't cost more than $100-$130 (in the US). I'd also strongly suggest shifting whatever you save by not over-spending on a motherboard to buying 2GB of RAM. While I don't game myself, from I've read having the extra memory helps a lot in gaming.

Since I bought one, I tend to think well of the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, so I'd consider that one possibility. But it may also be overkill for you since you don't plan to overclock. Also, the DS3 does not provide support Firewire. This may not matter to you, but it's worth mentioning.

A motherboard made by Intel such as the Intel BOXDP965LTCK P965 Express ATX might also be a good fit for you. Intel boards are said to be very stable and reliable. They are usually not recommended here though because they don't overclock well. For you that would not be a problem though, correct?

My understanding from the reviews I've read is that there is not a big performance difference between the various 965P chipset motherboards out there. What really matters in choosing between the available 965P boards are other factors such as what features your want the board to support and how much you "trust" the manufacturer.

TRENDING THREADS