[SOLVED] Which should i pick from these MB

Briko

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Im stuck between picking of these three motherboards which one should i pick? which one would you?

ASUS ROG STRIX B360-H GAMING
Gigabyte Z390 D
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS

Computer specs
Intel i5-8400
Gtx 1060 3gb
128 m.2 ssd
Cooler master 1200V platinum

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Make/model of prebuilts, especially 3rd party vendors such as Dell, Lenovo, Sony, HP etc basically require an exact swap since windows is tied to the specific motherboard as is other integrated software and such things as power or case switch connectors. Swapping out for an aftermarket motherboard may seem easier, but often opens up a can of worms most aren't ready or able to circumvent.

Reactions: Briko

Briko

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Make/model of prebuilts, especially 3rd party vendors such as Dell, Lenovo, Sony, HP etc basically require an exact swap since windows is tied to the specific motherboard as is other integrated software and such things as power or case switch connectors. Swapping out for an aftermarket motherboard may seem easier, but often opens up a can of worms most aren't ready or able to circumvent.

Totaly true. Many weird cables were attached to the motherboard that didnt fit in to my new build. Looked for some sources, some said it would be ok, so i took the chance. Well just got to buy a new one now

Briko

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
What was the make/model of the prebuilt?
Some used proprietary motherboards.
To avoid reactivation issues, a exact replacement is easier.

It also seems strange to have a 1200w psu in such a pc.
Was there a reason for that?
HP Omen 880-138. Tampa 2 motherboard.
Reason i changed psu was because i had 300w on the last one and i was thinking of upgrading the graphics card sooner or later. I got the new psu for a good price aswell. I got it before the incident, ive had the power supply for over a year in the old hp case without any problems. The failure happened after i changed the case. (Needed one for better airflow, after upgrades)

Z390 will let you overclock ram.
But, unless you are using integrated graphics, there is very little benefit to running faster ram.
Here is an older study:
The reason is that faster ram is accompanied by higher latency which negates some of the advantage.

That said, there is very little difference in price between 3200 and 3600 ram.
Any ram will run at lower settings to boot so you are safe with whatever you get.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Do you have a new case?

Prebuild cases are terrible.

I would get a new case, and the the MB you like. Z390's lots of nice choices.

Look out for the things you need/want. WIFI? How many USB 2 and USB 3? How many SATA etc.

If you don't have any crazy requirements you can go cheap with the g the H310 MSI proe series is 59 bucks.
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus looks pretty good at 134.

I have used the X370 Gigabyte Gaming 5 (selling it this weekend, been a fine board) and the ASROCKS Tachi 370 very good board.

you have a nice power supply and that will provide good clean power and give you plenty of overhead and upgradeability

I have used several cheap boards in the past, and their still running fine, you can't overclock, you have limited ports, but besides that they seem ok. I like midgrade boards personally when I can afford it, but I'm always looking for the BEST value for ME, at the time of the build.

Look at the goals, do you just want a PC up and working again, or do you want something a little nicer?

Eventually as budget allows try to get a larger M2 drive if you can. (shameless plug I have one lol), but a larger drive SSD/M2 will help the overall performance of the system.

Reactions: Briko