Question which should i upgrade first i5-8400 rx 580

Jan 22, 2020
so i recently posted a thread about updating my cpu from i5-8400 to i5-9600k or ryzen 5 3600 and got a lot of mixed answers. some said 9600k A LOT said ryzen 5 3600 which im gonna do soon and the A LOT of people said nevermind cpu do the gpu so my question is which should i do first there both gonna get upgraded soon but say i had to do an upgrade and had to wait say 3 months before i do the other which first? I play a lot of Apex at competitive setting so 1080p everything low except texture streaming budget i stay on high sometimes ill disable it still deciding on what i like i have a 144hz monitor and the lowest i drop fps wise is 96 for a split second and i also play the new MW at normal setting also dip into the 90s but no lower and i also want to play new titles that come out none specifically as there are not any now or releasing soon that im interested in. I want to see fps boost to the point were i dont really dip below the 100s if possible. my cpu runs at 90% when playing apex and gpu runs in 90s% as well. i thought about a 1660ti and i read i shouldnt go over a rtx 2070 that even a 2060 would probably bottleneck a little but not a lot to notice with my cpu any advice would help. Also i am aware that with the ryzen upgrade requires new mobo.

With an i5 8400, I would really update the GPU first in order to get good FPS and still keep the nice eye candy visuals.

If in 3 months you can upgrade again then Im guessing the Ryzen 5 3600 will be the way to go. I would only go with the 9600K only if you can keep the motherboard and you wana keep the update on a "tight" budget. But really, at that point I would keep in mind the i7 8700 or the i7 9700 (non-k) since I trully believe, keeping your current mobo, those are way better updates than the 9600K.

Cheers!

Reactions: RoguesHyper
I wouldn't update your 8400 at all especially not to a 9600k, maybe a 8700 or 9700 (id go 8700 for hyper-threading) but going to another i5 6c/6t CPU is a complete waste for the slightly higher clockspeed. And even going to a Ryzen 3600 will be minimal improvement if any

Right now there doesn't seem to be a big increase in performance for gaming past 6 core 6 thread and if there was it would be so minimal as to not justify the upgrade. If you want to get into streaming and gaming I would say yes a 8 or even 12 core CPU would be worth it.

I think you are getting a lot of misinformation about bottle-necking. And as stated above your 580 might be the best choice of upgrade. However the 1660ti IMO is not worth the purchase at its price when the 1660 Super is nearly identical in performance. If you want to go up a step then teh 5600XT/2060 Super or 5700/5700xt would be a good option

Jan 22, 2020
I wouldn't update your 8400 at all especially not to a 9600k, maybe a 8700 or 9700 (id go 8700 for hyper-threading) but going to another i5 6c/6t CPU is a complete waste for the slightly higher clockspeed. And even going to a Ryzen 3600 will be minimal improvement if any

Right now there doesn't seem to be a big increase in performance for gaming past 6 core 6 thread and if there was it would be so minimal as to not justify the upgrade. If you want to get into streaming and gaming I would say yes a 8 or even 12 core CPU would be worth it.

I think you are getting a lot of misinformation about bottle-necking. And as stated above your 580 might be the best choice of upgrade. However the 1660ti IMO is not worth the purchase at its price when the 1660 Super is nearly identical in performance. If you want to go up a step then teh 5600XT/2060 Super or 5700/5700xt would be a good option
i do stream quite a bit with what i have currently at 720p60 with no performance hit but thought i could push more with ryzen. so my next question i have the money todo either or so i would be ok to get a 2060? i dont play a lot of new titles COD being the only one and my current settup can play any thing else more then perfect but my fav game right now is apex been playing since season 1 and with the new season coming soon i dont want to deal with performance decrease. Use to play fortnite built pc back in season 4 so like mid 2018 pushing over 300 fps now fortnite chap 2 barely pushing over 200 maybe 180 max plus these next few upgrades will probably be it for a while so wanna make it worth it. Thanks for the info though

Jan 22, 2020
With an i5 8400, I would really update the GPU first in order to get good FPS and still keep the nice eye candy visuals.

If in 3 months you can upgrade again then Im guessing the Ryzen 5 3600 will be the way to go. I would only go with the 9600K only if you can keep the motherboard and you wana keep the update on a "tight" budget. But really, at that point I would keep in mind the i7 8700 or the i7 9700 (non-k) since I trully believe, keeping your current mobo, those are way better updates than the 9600K.

Cheers!
Thanks for replying and the good information i have thought about it but at the same my budget is kinda tight since unfortunately i also have to get a new psu and would like to upgrade whatever is best for long term i guess im gonna stick with the 8400 a bit longer and also see whats coming this year since i heard next gen intel and amd should release this year so see what happens with those and if they will be a good upgrade other then that i am considering i was told ryzen since i do streaming on the same pc but if either the 9700 or 8700 work just as well i might look into it then. Thanks agin

Thanks for replying and the good information i have thought about it but at the same my budget is kinda tight since unfortunately i also have to get a new psu and would like to upgrade whatever is best for long term i guess im gonna stick with the 8400 a bit longer and also see whats coming this year since i heard next gen intel and amd should release this year so see what happens with those and if they will be a good upgrade other then that i am considering i was told ryzen since i do streaming on the same pc but if either the 9700 or 8700 work just as well i might look into it then. Thanks agin

Keep in mind that next gen intel wont work in your current motherboard (atleast not from what we heard and know till this day) they will require a new socket and chipset.
Next AMD gen will work on current motherboard and probably will work on old B450 and X470 chipsets.

But yeah, going with GPU upgrade I think is the best path, I would really try to step foward to a RTX 2060 Super or a Radeon 5600XT, just like richiestang_78 wrote.

As for streaming I wouldnt worry too much since most well know software can use the GPU power to stream, there are lots of tutorials on youtube.

But what I would really love to know is what brand and model of PSU do you have, cause upgrading your GPU will put some extra watts of load on the PSU. So keep that in mind too.

Reactions: RoguesHyper
Jan 22, 2020
Keep in mind that next gen intel wont work in your current motherboard (atleast not from what we heard and know till this day) they will require a new socket and chipset.
Next AMD gen will work on current motherboard and probably will work on old B450 and X470 chipsets.

But yeah, going with GPU upgrade I think is the best path, I would really try to step foward to a RTX 2060 Super or a Radeon 5600XT, just like richiestang_78 wrote.

As for streaming I wouldnt worry too much since most well know software can use the GPU power to stream, there are lots of tutorials on youtube.

But what I would really love to know is what brand and model of PSU do you have, cause upgrading your GPU will put some extra watts of load on the PSU. So keep that in mind too.
I currently have a rose will 550 bronze and was looking at an 650 80+ gold evga will that be enough?