Which sleep mode should I use? S1 or S3?

SteveSmith1980

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Which sleep mode should I use? S1 or S3? I can't have both. I have to set the jumpers on my motherboard for one of them. I wondering what should I use. By the way, do you find sleep mode useful? Do you use it?

If you're going to conserve power, might as well do it right and use S3 mode. S1 mode doesn't power off the CPU, according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acpi

I use "hybrid sleep" mode, in which memory contents are flushed to disk but they're also kept in RAM. That means the system can start up very fast without having to read stuff back in from disk. Having a copy of memory also written to disk means you can still resume (although not as quickly) even if the machine looses power.

I generally turn my machine on in the morning and let it sleep when I'm not using it, then turn it off again in the evening. I've used a "Kill-a-Watt" power meter to measure current draw, and I found that my system uses about 8 watts in "sleep" mode compared to about 5 watts when the power is "off" (ACPI computers don't really power completely off).

I actually have a power switching base under my monitor that I use to cut power so that no juice at all reaches the system - after I shut down the machine I throw that switch so that the system really, truly is off and consumes 0 watts.

jonaharkiay

Commendable
Aug 17, 2017

Just be aware that every time your system goes in hibernation it writes whatever is in your ram to the hard drive and reads it back when loading. It might shorten the life of your hard drive a little.

friedlander.m.s

Honorable
Feb 16, 2018

In some systems, sleep can be a mistake.
Because when the computer wakes up...not everything wakes up.

This has been a problem for several systems, and many times we just shut sleep off completely.

On my system: sleep or standby causes lots of problems. And I have seen the same issue on other systems as well.
It turns out that many problems are solved by shutting standby / sleep off.
My computer runs much better without it.

TRENDING THREADS