Question Which slot should I install NVMe SSD in Z390 Aorus with a 3080 GPU?

ImpalerPLM

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Hello guys,

I'd like some advice which slot should I choose for my NVMe SSD drive and WHY I should choose that slot.

The story is that I have a Fractal Define R6 case with Gigabyte AORUS Ultra Z390 motherboard. I have a Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler.
Now I bought a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC 10 Rev. 2 GPU and a Samsung 980 PRO Heatsink NVMe SSD.

Since I use all of 6 SATA data cables and Noctua covers the first slot I don't think its a good idea to install NVMe on that slot.

What I'm left with is GPU in x16 slot and a M2A slot immediately below it.

I have no problem inserting NVMe in M2P slot (light green color) just below the GPU.

Which NVMe position and why suits my build better performance and temperature-wise? I wish to preevent damage to any parts since both of them generate heat.

BTW since Samsung ssd already has a heatsink does it make any sense to add a second heatsink which is included with the motherboard on top the Samsung heatsink?

should I install additional cooling fans to help with airflow? which one?

5RAWwlY.jpg

Last edited:

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
All the three M.2 slots on the MB are Gen3 apparently, so it won't make a difference in that regard about where you place the NVMe SSD, and the 980 Pro will likely not run at full performance in either of these M.2 slots anyhow (as the 980 Pro is Gen4). The M.2 slot next to the CPU has usually the advantage of having lanes directly to the CPU (while the other M.2 slots are on many MBs with lanes to the chipset) - but not sure how that is for this MB, and the latency difference is pretty much minimal to none anyhow.

As for heatsink, one should be plenty already (in particular as the NVMe will be throtteled anyhow, due to the mentioned Gen3-4 issue). And I would put it below the GPU, as to give the heatsink a bit of breathing room. But I doubt the temperature would skyrocket by just being beside the GPU (or CPU) - something if one wants to know precisely, one would have to check the temperatures with some software for it in both scenarios.

And a read-out like that can usually tell a bit more about whether there is sufficient air-flow, or whether some more could improve matters.

Hello guys,

I'd like some advice which slot should I choose for my NVMe SSD drive and WHY I should choose that slot.

The story is that I have a Fractal Define R6 case with Gigabyte AORUS Ultra Z390 motherboard. I have a Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler.
Now I bought a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC 10 Rev. 2 GPU and a Samsung 980 PRO Heatsink NVMe SSD.

Since I use all of 6 SATA data cables and Noctua covers the first slot I don't think its a good idea to install NVMe on that slot.

What I'm left with is GPU in x16 slot and a M2A slot immediately below it.

I have no problem inserting NVMe in M2P slot (light green color) just below the GPU.

Which NVMe position and why suits my build better performance and temperature-wise? I wish to preevent damage to any parts since both of them generate heat.

BTW since Samsung ssd already has a heatsink does it make any sense to add a second heatsink which is included with the motherboard on top the Samsung heatsink?

should I install additional cooling fans to help with airflow? which one?

5RAWwlY.jpg
Put the m.2 in the bottom/green slot.....looks like it's easier to get at.

Only use one heat sink......your choice.

KyaraM

Admirable
The uppermost slot on the board, usually directly below the CPU, is normally the one directly connected to the CPU and thus the one you shoud use unless it is already in use. The proximity to the GPU isn't an issue. If anything, it might get some air circulation from the fans.

ImpalerPLM

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
I believe there is no difference in speed about the uppermost slot that you speak of. Here's a part of the motherboard's manual. If I put it there it even disabled two SATA connections.

I'm just looking for best solution temperature-wise.

qaYIfz4.png

KyaraM

Admirable
I believe there is no difference in speed about the uppermost slot that you speak of. Here's a part of the motherboard's manual. If I put it there it even disabled two SATA connections.

I'm just looking for best solution temperature-wise.

qaYIfz4.png
The difference is that the chipset PCIE lanes might be also used by other devices that are also connected to the chipset via those lanes, meaning that there is a difference even if they are technically rated the same; plus, going through the chipset takes a tad bit more time. Think of it as a public highway vs a private one only you are allowed to use. You can theoretically get the same speed on both, but on the public one you might be slowed down by other people also using it.
See also here:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/qterpy/computer_noob_m2_nvme_ssd_performance_on_cpu_vs/

Again, it doesn't matter in terms of temperature. My WD Black SN850 runs at 48°C tops in the CPU PCIE slot above tha GPU with the cooler from the mainboard. If that slot is already used, then the rest shouldn't really matter, but you also shouldn't really need a heatsink from my experience since the GPU creates enough airflow. And the one I have in that slot is not really an especially cool running SSD. M.2 start throttling at around 65°C iirc (or at least the one I have should), so it got quite a bit of temperature headroom.