Which Sound Card works best with Everquest?

G

Hi there,

Building a new system with an MSI K7t266 Pro MB, 1.33GHz Athlon CPU. What Sound card would anyone recommend for this set up keeping in mind that EQ and MP3's are the most use this card will get.

Thanks,

Bob in Buffalo

:) Shave My Poodle

G

I have budgeted enough to buy the Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 but I am not sure if I want to buy it.

Thanks,

Bob

</font color=purple> :eek: Shave My Poodle

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I bet you'll like the Phillips Acoustics Edge.
Check out some reviews from other sites to see how good it really is.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

G

The Philips Acoustic Edge gets my vote. It's a top notch sound card, sounds great, and has no compatibility problems that I've experienced. In fact it fixed some DMA problems in my A7M266 (the infamous 686B southbridge) that I was experiencing with a SBLive! Platinum 5.1 (yes I tried all of the patches).

Nice part is that it costs around $75-100 and sounds as good or better than the Platinum 5.1. It's just a sound card, though, so if the front input/control panel (LiveDrive!) on the 5.1 is important to you, it's about the only system that has that.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DesertCat on 07/18/01 10:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I would avoid the SBLive cards. I am not convinced that the SBLive/686b issue has been resolved, and I have a ton of corrupted data to prove it.

My personal favorite card these days is the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

For $79.95 you get just about every feature one could ever want in a sound card, and (IMHO) better sound quality than the SBLive to boot.

TL

TRENDING THREADS