[SOLVED] Which spec is better for the money in the long run? GB or Speed? GTX or RTX?

Aug 7, 2021
Looking to build me a new gaming PC after 10+years running strong with my i5 & AMD R7+++

Not looking to spend anything crazy, but I definitely want bang of the buck long term wise.

For $400, should I opt for a 4GDDR 128bit or a 2Gb 256-bit?

and GTX or RTX? I'm mainly looking to upgrade for the said reason but also to play Diablo 2 Resurrected and they recommend minimum GTX 660 to 1060. What's a RTX equiv? Seems like "RTX" are more readily available and cheaper...

Thanks much

Solution
If you've used your current setup for 10+ years, you should probably wait for a better opportunity to upgrade; right now GPUs are overpriced worldwide due to a combination of shortages and high demand. Save your $400 for now and give it another year or so and you'll be able to buy something much better with that money.

Generally speaking, VRAM speed is less important than how fast it is, but it can vary depending on the game. I would not recommend buying a GPU with less than 4 GB of VRAM in 2021; that's considered the minimum for most modern games and isn't even enough in same cases for some modern titles.
If you've used your current setup for 10+ years, you should probably wait for a better opportunity to upgrade; right now GPUs are overpriced worldwide due to a combination of shortages and high demand. Save your $400 for now and give it another year or so and you'll be able to buy something much better with that money.

Generally speaking, VRAM speed is less important than how fast it is, but it can vary depending on the game. I would not recommend buying a GPU with less than 4 GB of VRAM in 2021; that's considered the minimum for most modern games and isn't even enough in same cases for some modern titles.

Solution
Aug 7, 2021

Thank you! Yea I know they're in short demand for a long time now. However I really want to play this game only*** so it is what it is, but 2gb wouldn't be good enough?

What about RTX since they're cheaper?