Question Which SSD and RAM should I add to my laptop? Model: Aspire E5-575G-585K

freedomzzz

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Hi, I am planning to add a SSD to my aging laptop to function as boot drive, but I am not sure what kind of SSD is compatible with my laptop. I do not want to replace my HDD, but to use it as storage. I've did some reading but the more reading I did, the more confused I get. So I decided to ask the community about this. Thank you for reading.

Note: My friend works in WD, so I'm leaning towards getting a WD SSD for a cheaper price

Edit: If I decide to add RAM for my laptop, would a Corsair Vengeance SODIMM 8GB DDR4 work or would a 4GB be better, since the memory stick in my laptop holds 4GB.

According to what I can find, you have a laptop with both a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD in your laptop. Also, it seems like there's 8GB of RAM in the laptop. Is there any reason why you'd want to upgrade? If I google the model number you've mentioned, all I see is a pretty good laptop. Unless you have an actual serial number that will show a lower specced laptop, I'd say you don't really have to upgrade at all, unless you're a heavy user.

freedomzzz

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Thank you Lutfij and taeioum.

@Lutfij Okay, for SSD, I know there are PCIe/NVMe and SATA types right? I've read that the former is the upgraded version of SATA, so if I want to know if my laptop can support PCIe/NVMe or not? And as for memory, you mean buying two 4GB memory sticks right?

@taeioum yes mine is a lower specced laptop, with an i5-6200U, GeForce 940MX 2GB GDDR5, 4GB DDR4, and 1TB HDD. Just with Chrome and iTunes, my memory and disk usage reach as high as 80% and 100% respectively. I couldn't find my laptop model in Acer's homepage unless I use my serial number to look it up. But isn't serial number something private that shouldn't be leaked to other people? Sorry if I offended you in some way, but I'm just not sure about it.

Edit: I mainly use my laptop for uni work, and I play games on it as well, but not the recent games.