[SOLVED] Which SSD for my Laptop (970 EVO Plus or 980)

justinj

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I am probably going to buy the ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 17 G733QS-XS98Q on xoticpc.com. There is a choice between a 970 EVO Plus and a 980 and I am not sure which to go with - there is no price difference. The laptop is for gaming and other normal use, nothing too unusual. I read that the 980 uses less energy, so that might be good to reduce heat (I'm not worried about battery life). Which would you pick?

Solution
I read that article as well and a couple others. It’s still a tough call. Article says 980. I think others said 970 evo plus or it doesn’t matter. So any other opinions? I don’t think it’s worth $70 more for the 980 pro right? Seems like a lot for a marginal ssd improvement.

Just go for the 970 EVO PLUS. You won't even see the difference between the two. Only if you transfer files from and to the same or another 980 that you will see that it's faster.

For OS loading, game loading etc the 970 EVO PLUS is pretty much the same. You don't want to pay the price difference for a 0.5 second faster loading time.

justinj

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I read that article as well and a couple others. It’s still a tough call. Article says 980. I think others said 970 evo plus or it doesn’t matter. So any other opinions? I don’t think it’s worth $70 more for the 980 pro right? Seems like a lot for a marginal ssd improvement.

Just go for the 970 EVO PLUS. You won't even see the difference between the two. Only if you transfer files from and to the same or another 980 that you will see that it's faster.

For OS loading, game loading etc the 970 EVO PLUS is pretty much the same. You don't want to pay the price difference for a 0.5 second faster loading time.

Solution