Question Which SSD for my laptop Acer V5-591G-71Q8

Status
Not open for further replies.

long john silver

Prominent
Jun 17, 2019
Hello All,
I have started to notice lag in my laptop startup, and would like to upgrade to an SSD (currently 5400 RPM HDD) .
Laptop Acer Aspire V5-591G-71Q8
Chipset : Intel HM170 Express.
Need to know which type of SSD (technology wise) is possible with this laptop, and whether I need to upgrade RAM as well - I have 16 GB DDR4, and runs pleasant enough, just that i sometimes see extra large icon of DSLR images not being previewed fast enough in the folder view.

Uhh, basically, I am in China for work for a little while ~ 1 month. And thought I will upgrade to SSD here, I know people who can sort out the language part for me, but they are not hard core tech people.

THanks all..

Sagar_20

Distinguished
It does support M.2
but crucial website does not have any details about that model.

I think replacing the HDD with a SATA SSD would be a better idea. They're cheaper and offer better value. HDD can be converted to an external drive anytime, if you want.

You don't need to upgrade RAM cause the bottleneck in your laptop is something else.

Reactions: long john silver
The best option, in this case, is to replace the 5900rpm with a 2.5in SATA SSD. It will make everything snappy and more responsive. Plus, they are much cheaper than NVME drives and are compatable with nearly all laptop or desktop computers made in the last decade or more.

How much storage are you looking for? My SSD pick would be a 250 or 500GB Crucial MX500 2.5 in SSD. More info here:https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct25...82HMS4wtUtJIj2KpPu722q3UNPYYaAj5MEALw_wcB:G:s

Your 16GB ram is fine. The major factor limiting your laptops snappiness right now is the 5900RPM HDD.

long john silver

Prominent
Jun 17, 2019
Thank you @Sagar_20 and @remixislandmusic !
I would be happy with 256 GB SSD. I am looking to retain the HDD too, use it as a bulk internal storage while the SSD has my main OS and the other software (statistics, office, Photo editing etc., nothing very fancy).

So now that I would be looking for M.2, in 256 or 512 GB range, which one gives the best reliability?
My laptop is waaaay out of warranty. I've had bad experience with WD and Seagate external HDDs and I want this to be really reliable. I don't need the absolute fastest one, just need something that doesn't die on me within warranty-this is after all my tech-phobic wife's machine which I've borrowed. So Crucial, Sandisk, Sony, Samsung, which one is the best in terms of reliability? Apologies if this is not a straightforward question, I am basically looking for recommendations.
I will be buying in China..so I hope these have international warranty - I wont be living in the PRC post July end.. REason to bring this up was I think one of Transcend/Kingston had restrictive warranties on the thumb drives that I recall.

Thanks and regards,

long john silver

Prominent
Jun 17, 2019
THanks all of you guys!
I regret, I did not respond to you guys after this call for assistance.

Btw, I did not go ahead with any SSD upgrade in China. The reasons were that I did not want to get into warranty related issues as warranty would be invalid outside of China.
Even so, I am still stuck where I was and now, Win 10 is truly unbearable on that machine.. Can you please help me to be absolutely certain my laptop can accept the M.2 ssd, while retaining the HDD?

@Sagar_20
If I put a 2.5" SSD , I may have to discard this one (2.5" HDD), so I think I will continue to use this as a bulk storage and just migrate Windows 10 to the SSD. Besides, 2.5" SSDs are also not very cheap almost at the same price as M.2 where I am (India) so would be getting full warranty. Also, I think the latop being 5 years old already, I don't want to invest in another expensive SSD - since the next one I get will surely be without HDD, if I ever pay for a Windows 10 system. I therefore would be keeping myself to 500GB or less, lesser the better. So my guess is 128 GB or 240-250-256 GB (Price/GB is better here)

@NightHawkRMX
I saw that they have used HWinfo64 output to assess, but I am a bit clueless in that business. In any case, I have responded to that thread as well. If you have anything to highlight, please feel free to comment here or there.

Thanks guys,
LJS

long john silver

Prominent
Jun 17, 2019
Guys, thanks for your advice. I am going ahead with a M.2 from Adata/Crucial in by 01 Jan.
This will be a non-NVME M.2, so in case you feel any issues could crop up (or specifically, M.2 wont be suitable for my system), please let me know by the end of this year.

Wishing you all a great year ahead.
Regards,
LJS

Dec 28, 2020
Hello All,
I have started to notice lag in my laptop startup, and would like to upgrade to an SSD (currently 5400 RPM HDD) .
Laptop Acer Aspire V5-591G-71Q8
Chipset : Intel HM170 Express.
Need to know which type of SSD (technology wise) is possible with this laptop, and whether I need to upgrade RAM as well - I have 16 GB DDR4, and runs pleasant enough, just that i sometimes see extra large icon of DSLR images not being previewed fast enough in the folder view.

Uhh, basically, I am in China for work for a little while ~ 1 month. And thought I will upgrade to SSD here, I know people who can sort out the language part for me, but they are not hard core tech people.

THanks all..
You will definitely have to go with a SATA SSD. That laptop does not support NVMe at all.

long john silver

Prominent
Jun 17, 2019
I meant whether M.2 SATA drive will work - A 10 fold increase is fine enough for me (550 MB/s vs 60 odd MB/s for HDD). I am not particularly looking for NVME speeds.

I am very much aware that the NVME wont. I suppose the NVME drives won't physically fit into M.2 SATA slots.

@Dr. Gray
Thanks, I am aware Sata will work and NVME wont, I only need confirmation M.2 will (since I see an M.2 slot in there).
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.