[SOLVED] Which SSD is better?

alliearmstrong

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I’m looking at a few options for SSD’s and I’m wondering what brand would be the best. Would you recommend SanDisk, WD Blue, Samsung, or some other brand?

Reactions: mkaafy
Solution
SATA and 2.5 inch

I would go for the Samsung 860 series or Intel 545 series.

Unfortunately, this motherboard supports the older slower SATA 3 Gb/s (not SATA 6Gb/s) so you won't notice huge speed boost by adding an SSD to it but still it's not a bad idea to upgrade. You can add those 2.5 inch SATA 3D NAND SSDs.
Read more:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-sata-3gbps,3469.html

Building a new PC with the latest hardware is the best thing to do if you need to.

While he may max out at 300MB/s he will still see quite a performance difference from a hard drive due to the IOPS a SSD has. Hard drives have very little IOPS in comparison. One of the fastest consumer drives, the WD Black, had a max...
Samsung typically has some of the best. Of the SSDs out there I tend to go with Samsung or Intel for quality and longevity.

But what really matters is the price you want to pay, what size you want, form factor and what kind of performance you really want. For example there are SATA and NVMe SSDs. SATA are still fast, vastly faster than a HDD, but NVMe is faster and was designed for SSDs while SATA was designed with HDDs in mind. But NVMe drives do tend to cost a bit more.

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
If money is not an issue and your mobo supports NVMe, pick WD Black NVMe, Samsung Pro NVMe or Corsair Force series as they are the best in the SSD world. Choosing between other brands is more like a trial and error.

The model is more important than the brand. You shouldn't buy cheap entry-level SSDs like WD Green SSDs!

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
If money is not an issue and your mobo supports NVMe, pick WD Black NVMe, Samsung Pro NVMe or Corsair Force series as they are the best in the SSD world. Choosing between other brands is more like a trial and error.
I think you can include Intel in the top tier brands for NVMe SSDs. For most people a Samsung EVO will have almost no performance difference over a PRO.

Oct 20, 2019
Samsung typically has some of the best. Of the SSDs out there I tend to go with Samsung or Intel for quality and longevity.

But what really matters is the price you want to pay, what size you want, form factor and what kind of performance you really want. For example there are SATA and NVMe SSDs. SATA are still fast, vastly faster than a HDD, but NVMe is faster and was designed for SSDs while SATA was designed with HDDs in mind. But NVMe drives do tend to cost a bit more.
How does Crucial compare to Intel and Samsung?

alliearmstrong

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018

The model is more important than the brand. You shouldn't buy cheap entry-level SSDs like WD Green SSDs!
My motherboard is actually very old. It’s a Ga-78LMT-USB3. Which SSD’s would it support?

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
My motherboard is actually very old. It’s a Ga-78LMT-USB3. Which SSD’s would it support?
Unfortunately, this motherboard supports the older slower SATA 3 Gb/s (not SATA 6Gb/s) so you won't notice huge speed boost by adding an SSD to it but still it's not a bad idea to upgrade. You can add those 2.5 inch SATA 3D NAND SSDs.
Read more:

Building a new PC with the latest hardware is the best thing to do if you need to.

Last edited:
SATA and 2.5 inch

I would go for the Samsung 860 series or Intel 545 series.

Read more:

While he may max out at 300MB/s he will still see quite a performance difference from a hard drive due to the IOPS a SSD has. Hard drives have very little IOPS in comparison. One of the fastest consumer drives, the WD Black, had a max read speed of 154MB/s compared to a SATA SSD that will max out SATA II.

The same WD Black has about 66 to 86 IOPS (depends on Queue Depth) while an Intel 545s has 75K read IOPS and 90K write IOPS. Even at QD1 the 545s has 9K read and 26K write IOPS, vastly more than a hard drive.

Solution