[SOLVED] Which SSD should I buy?

Jun 18, 2021
My Laptop specification says I have an expansion slot for (M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0×2). But I hardly found anything rather than SSD's supporting 4 lanes! Can I use one of these i.e.
ADATA 512 GB SX8200 Pro 2280 PCIe M2 SSD? Or anything better suitable for my device?
Device - ASUS X509JP
I really appreciate any help I can get here.

Solution
You can use newer X4 lanes-capable drives, but, albeit at half speed, often limited to ~1200-1400 MB/sec or so...

DId the laptop in question arrive equipped already with a 250 GB M.2 NVME drive and a 5400 RPM 1 TB drive?

If there is only a single NVME slot, I'd simply retain the existing drive for the OS and a few key applications, and replace the spinner drive with a Crucial MX500 of desired capacity, perhaps 1 TB or so...
Yes, you can use that SSD. Its a good one. SSDs typically do not require more than 4 lanes, so you wont find anything different. Just be aware that M2 is a mere form factor which can support both SATA and NVME speeds. But NVME devices like that AData are way faster in terms of speed.
This should give you some perspective for selection...

Reactions: Rafsan004
You can use newer X4 lanes-capable drives, but, albeit at half speed, often limited to ~1200-1400 MB/sec or so...

DId the laptop in question arrive equipped already with a 250 GB M.2 NVME drive and a 5400 RPM 1 TB drive?

If there is only a single NVME slot, I'd simply retain the existing drive for the OS and a few key applications, and replace the spinner drive with a Crucial MX500 of desired capacity, perhaps 1 TB or so...

Reactions: Rafsan004
Solution
Jun 18, 2021

Did the laptop in question arrive equipped already with a 250 GB M.2 NVME drive and a 5400 RPM 1 TB drive?

If there is only a single NVME slot, I'd retain the existing drive for the OS and a few key applications, and replace the spinner drive with a Crucial MX500 of desired capacity, perhaps 1 TB or so...
Thanks. It is equipped with only a 1TB SATA 5400RPM 2.5" HDD. I want to add an SSD in the only expansion slot described (M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0×2). My concern is about 3.02 vs. 3.04.
So, you are saying that I can use 3.0*4 SSD in my device and get half the actual SSD's speed, with no other issues.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021
Yes, you can use that SSD. It's a good one. SSDs typically do not require more than 4 lanes so that you won't find anything different. Just be aware that M2 is a mere form factor that can support both SATA and NVME speeds. But NVME devices like that AData are way faster in terms of speed.
This should give you some perspective on the selection...
Thanks. I will go with that SSD. My concern was whether I could use 3.04 SSD though my device seems to have a 3.02 SSD slot.