Which ssd to buy?

liklikovic

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hello everyone i need a suggestion which low budget ssd to buy...i need some cheap for linux 120-128gb .... here are my picks:

Transcend - TS128GSSD230S
WD Green - WDS120G1G0A
Kingston - SUV400S37/120G

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
For your use-case, assuming you're not looking for bragging rights in performance benchmarks, I'd fully expect each of those drives to perform near identical in "real-world" uses. I'd opt for the cheapest 120(ish)GB SSD from a reputable brand.

Warranty will vary a bit, but at least from a reputable brand, you're looking at a minimum 3 years.

USAFRet

Titan

For that size and use, flip a coin.
Or whichever is cheapest. Or even available in that size.

liklikovic

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
I underestand but im not sure how are these brends reputations .. i know samsung is good but in these cheaper versions i have no idea...some say that transcend is best of those 3....waranty is 3years on all of them

USAFRet

Titan

They're all well known brands.
And on an individual drive basis, reliability is not really a known factor.
If one of them had a 98.5% success rate after 4 years, but you got one of the 1.5%ers....oh well.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
They're all comparable, honestly - you're not going to go wrong with any of them for your use case*. Kingston, Transcend, WD are reputable brands.

AData are another 'player' in the budget space, and I've had no issues with them.

*We could delve into the specs, benchmarks etc...... but it really doesn't matter for such a basic use-case.

hiimyourfriend

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

Go for WD Green - WDS120G1G0A

one thing to also note about the WD SSD drives is that they started coming out with their own branded SSD drives after they bought out sandisk and they had some pretty reliable SSD drives in the past.