[SOLVED] Which SSD to buy?

Kaname78

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
Hello, I'm fairly new to some of these things but right now I'm wanting to replace my ssd. I currently have the apacer as340 ssd and it's 120gb I'd like to replace it with a larger ssd however I don't want to end up buying a slower one. I'm considering replacing it with the sk hynix gold s31 500gb 3d nand however I'm not sure if that drive is slower or not. Does anyone know if that would be a good replacement? Thank you very much for reading. (this is for my main drive with windows, I already looked into how to transfer everything)

Update: I ended up deciding on going with a samsung 970 evo

Last edited:
Solution
If budget is a not a direct constraint then that permits you to spend more towards quality products.

Better is relative. You need criteria to evaluate. Budget is one such factor.

You mentioned that you do not want a "slower one". Even a fast SSD could be slow depending on the host system's hardware, software, and configuration. Details matter.

Consider speed/compatibility, durability, support, diagnostic tools, power requirements, and so forth.

Speed and performance claims are often established in ideal environments. Real world applicability and performance is often less.

For SSD's that is not as necessarily complex as if purchasing a GPU or a printer.

I tend to stay with known/recognized brands and spread my purchases...

Ralston18

Titan
If budget is a not a direct constraint then that permits you to spend more towards quality products.

Better is relative. You need criteria to evaluate. Budget is one such factor.

You mentioned that you do not want a "slower one". Even a fast SSD could be slow depending on the host system's hardware, software, and configuration. Details matter.

Consider speed/compatibility, durability, support, diagnostic tools, power requirements, and so forth.

Speed and performance claims are often established in ideal environments. Real world applicability and performance is often less.

For SSD's that is not as necessarily complex as if purchasing a GPU or a printer.

I tend to stay with known/recognized brands and spread my purchases amongst the top rated manufacturers.

Adds flexibility and allows you to take advantage of sales and special offers.

For SSD's I have Kingston, Samsung, and PNY.

All brands can have problems generically and with one particular product line or product within that product line.

Any individual device may fail on its' own merits due to a faulty component, manufacturing mistake, or even some unforeseen design error.

That is why I read reviews by trusted evaluators and verified purchasers. Star ratings and the number of ratings/reviews matters.

Also helpful to read manufacturer's User Guides/Manuals, FAQ, and Forums. Look for what is said as well as what is not said.

You have to decide what you consider as better.

Makes the selection process meaningful but not"lemon proof".

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
And as far as "transfer everything"...some utube stuff you find is a bit misleading or incomplete.

This is how (assuming SATA -> SATA):
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Kaname78

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
I appreciate all these replies and info but I'm literally just trying to know if the sk hynix gold s31 is a better quality ssd compared to the apacer as340. I want to know if it's a faster ssd, slower, or about the same. I know other hardware can affect it however I don't have to worry about it. I'm simply trying to replace my ssd for one of a larger size and I don't want to get one that would be worse quality than my current one. That's it.

USAFRet

Titan
I appreciate all these replies and info but I'm literally just trying to know if the sk hynix gold s31 is a better quality ssd compared to the apacer as340. I want to know if it's a faster ssd, slower, or about the same. I know other hardware can affect it however I don't have to worry about it. I'm simply trying to replace my ssd for one of a larger size and I don't want to get one that would be worse quality than my current one. That's it.
Why only those 2?
Performance is about the same, you'll just be going larger.