Which SSD to chose for a netbook upgrade, Kingston SSDNow, Kingston HyperX Fury or Silicon Power S60?

Vita94

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hi,

I have a netbook Acer Aspire One AO722. Wanted to upgrade it with an SSD hopefully it boot faster and load up files faster. It get's pretty slow sometimes, I just use it for basic stuff, surfing the web and lite word processing, sometimes some coding. I will upgrade the ram to 4GB.

I've been looking at these three SSDs and I really don't know which one to buy, they almost have the same price and specs as far as I can see so I don't want to decide by price.

I never bought SSD before so I don't know what to look for, I would like to hear some of your experiences with these drives and opinions.

Here are the links to the three that I'm considering:

Kingston SSDNow V300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107

Kingston HyperX Fury
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104483

Silicon Power S60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4AJ1JJ8217

Which one do you recommend and why?

Thanks for your help!

Solution
I would go with the Kingston SSDNow V300. It seems to have the fastest speeds (read/write) and better reviews then the other SSD's. I have samsung 840 pro's in all my computers but for the price the Kingston SSDNow V300 seems to be the best bang for the buck and it has a 3 year warranty.

WildCard999

Titan
I would go with the Kingston SSDNow V300. It seems to have the fastest speeds (read/write) and better reviews then the other SSD's. I have samsung 840 pro's in all my computers but for the price the Kingston SSDNow V300 seems to be the best bang for the buck and it has a 3 year warranty.

Solution

gmcgrath

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I just installed a Kingston SSD Now 128 GB in my Gateway netbook this morning. I got the notebook upgrade kit, which comes with an external HD enclosure and Acronis True Image software to clone the old drive onto the new one. It was totally painless. It's the way to go if you want to keep your old OS, software, data, etc. If you're going to change your OS, just get the bare drive and do your install the regular way. You do have to have a DVD drive to run the software; I used an external drive attached to my netbook since it doesn't have one built in. Now I have my old HD in an external enclosure that I can use as external storage, and the copy of True Image that I can reuse if I want to do a similar swap in the future...I'll just have to buy a bare drive next time.
I will add that I didn't get as much of a speed upgrade as I'd hoped. My processor is the limiting element now, and netbooks usually aren't designed to allow a simple CPU upgrade. The boot time is a little faster, and overall performance is a little faster, but the CPU is holding it back now. I had already upgraded the RAM from 1 to 2 GB (the most this netbook is supposed to take), and upgraded from XP to Win 7 Pro 32 bit. I've upgraded two desktop computers from HD to SSD, and got a better performance upgrade because the other components were faster than on the netbook.
HTH,
Greg