aqua_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
Hi there, I'm going to get a fast and durable SSD.
Propose would be running OS and a couple of games.
Ignoring the price, If you were going to choose from this list, which one would you go for and why?

Crucial BX500 120GB
Silicon Power Ace A55 (or S55) 120/128 GB
PNY CS900 120GB
Gigabyte S31 120GB (GP-GSTFS31120GNTD)
Adata SU650 120GB
Western Digital Green 120GB ( WDS120G2G0A)

Last edited:
Solution
I could not get a clear answer to my question. According to the answers, can I conclude that none of the options mentioned above are worth considering?
From your original list?
Not really.

250GB Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 EVO would be the two I would go with.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I don't own any of those specific drives, but have had exceptional results from Crucial for drives, ADATA for RAM and drives. I like Western Digital but based on my experience with the "green" line would pass. Blue or black highly preferred.
I have no specific experience with the others in your list.

Personally feel like Samsung is the way to go. I have also had good results out of Intel and higher end Kingston. Unsolicited, so apologies for that...

Reactions: aqua_q

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Depends.

If you're looking for an SSD, go with Samsung, even a cheaper model will work better and last longer on average. For traditional HDD, the old HGST brands were indestructible. Damn things lasted forever. Nowadays I guess Western Digital (since getting rid of the HGST brand) is a decent pick, but I don't trust them more than HGST back in the day. Also, stay away from Seagate drives. If they don't have the highest failure rate in the industry, I'd be shocked.

Hi there, I'm going to get a fast and durable SSD.
Propose would be running OS and a couple of games.
Ignoring the price, If you were going to choose from this list, which one would you go for and why?

Crucial BX500 120GB
Silicon Power Ace A55 (or S55) 120/128 GB
PNY CS900 120GB
Gigabyte S31 120GB (GP-GSTFS31120GNTD)
Adata SU650 120GB
Western Digital Green 120GB ( WDS120G2G0A)
None of the above.
Don't get anything small than 250GB.
Crucial.....look for the MX series.
WD.....look for the blue or black series.
Look at the samsung lineup.

None of the above.
120gb is just too small for the C drive.
Many things default to the C drive, and when it nears full, it will slow down and lose performance. 250gb minimum.

Any reliable brand will be a big boost compared to a HDD.
If you can, use only ssd as devices for active data.
Use a Hard drive for bulk storage of sequential files such as videos or for backup.

As to brands, look first to samsung for performance and reliability.
Puget systems tracks reliability, and samsung ssd devices were near perfect:

aqua_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks everyone, so I need a 240/250/256 GB SSD, but I still don't know which brand and model is more reliable.
Do you have any idea? Assuming that these are the only available options to choose from.

Crucial BX500 (240GB)
Silicon Power Ace A55 (256GB)
PNY CS900 (240GB)
Adata SU650 (240GB)
Lexar NS100 (256GB)
Kingstone A400 (240GB)

Samsung EVO 870 (250GB) is not an option, but is that much better than the above mentioned SSDs? How is it compared to Western Digital Blue (250GB)?

Thanks everyone, so I need a 240/250/256 GB SSD, but I still don't know which brand and model is more reliable.
Do you have any idea? Assuming that these are the only available options to choose from.

Crucial BX500 (240GB)
Silicon Power Ace A55 (256GB)
PNY CS900 (240GB)
Adata SU650 (240GB)
Lexar NS100 (256GB)
Kingstone A400 (240GB)

Samsung EVO 870 (250GB) is not an option, but is that much better than the above mentioned SSDs? How is it compared to Western Digital Blue (250GB)?
Anandtech ssd bench can compare some ssd devices.
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2750?vs=2731
You will see how samsung compares vs. most any ssd.
But the reality is that most ssd devices performance is so close that it takes a synthetic benchmark to differentiate. And, bigger performs better.

I don't know what the price difference is where you live or what your means are.
But, I would value ssd reliability as a plus, right along with a quality psu.
Those are two devices that you do not want to give you any trouble.

aqua_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks everyone. Ok, you are right, I need to change my mind about that list. Please ignore the price of these 3 options and tell me which is expected to be better and more durable. I've read somewhere that Samsung EVO 870 is MLC. Is that right or all of these options are TLC?

Samsung Evo 870 (250GB)
Crucial MX500 (250GB)
Western Digital Blue 3D NAND (250GB)

Thanks everyone. Ok, you are right, I need to change my mind about that list. Please ignore the price of these 3 options and tell me which is expected to be better and more durable. I've read somewhere that Samsung EVO 870 is MLC. Is that right or all of these options are TLC?

Samsung Evo 870 (250GB)
Crucial MX500 (250GB)
Flip a coin.
I doubt you would see any perf difference.
I doubt you will wear out any of them.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
you should not buy a 120gb in 2021...................

I would say 256GB at MIN, but really 512gb is what you should get their cheaper now.

512gb is going to be a lot faster and give you more options.

its hard to beat samsung IMHO out of them 3 choices.

But for another 10 bucks you can get a 512gb drive what am I missing?

Samsung Evo 870 (250GB)
Crucial MX500 (250GB)
MLC/TLC are underlying component technologies.
Probably not the right thing to base selection on.
The ssd controller manages the nand chips and may have other capabilities such as ram buffers and error algorithms.
It is the capability of the controllers that matters most.

aqua_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
I have a Z77 board and I can't boot from an NVMe SSD without a moded bios, so sata is the easier option.

you should not buy a 120gb in 2021...................

I would say 256GB at MIN, but really 512gb is what you should get their cheaper now.

512gb is going to be a lot faster and give you more options.

its hard to beat samsung IMHO out of them 3 choices.

But for another 10 bucks you can get a 512gb drive what am I missing?

I've found out that SSDs of a model with more capacity perform better, but I can't afford a 500GB or more SSD.

MLC/TLC are underlying component technologies.
Probably not the right thing to base selection on.
The ssd controller manages the nand chips and may have other capabilities such as ram buffers and error algorithms.
It is the capability of the controllers that matters most.

I know that MLC SSDs are faster and have a longer life span than TLC SSDs. What about the controller, how do I know which one has a better controller? Do you mean that I need to consider SSDs as a whole and do not pay attention to a single criterion?

I could not get a clear answer to my question. According to the answers, can I conclude that none of the options I mentioned before are worth considering?

Last edited:

aqua_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
From your original list?
Not really.

250GB Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 EVO would be the two I would go with.
No, I've changed my mind to these options:
Samsung Evo 870 (250GB)
Crucial MX500 (250GB)

Is Evo 860 better than 870? In terms of endurance, is there any difference between Samsung Evo 860/870 and Crucial MX500?