Which Steam Machine is Fastest? Futuremark Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't understand all the hype behind Steam Machines as they exist now (i'll care when streaming etc is proven to work well), especially when it comes to benchmarking them, how is it different from just benchmarking a boutique PC? also, hmm, something with a pair of Titans is faster than a single gtx 780 TI and all of these are faster than Intel's Iris Pro... big surprise there. No offense to you Kevin or to Tom's team or Furmark, but this new obsession with Steam really surprises me.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I honestly don't understand all the hype behind Steam Machines as they exist now (i'll care when streaming etc is proven to work well), especially when it comes to benchmarking them, how is it different from just benchmarking a boutique PC? also, hmm, something with a pair of Titans is faster than a single gtx 780 TI and all of these are faster than Intel's Iris Pro... big surprise there. No offense to you Kevin or to Tom's team or Furmark, but this new obsession with Steam really surprises me.
I'm exactly the same. I've heard they're trying to bring PCs to the living room. Fair enough, but who's going to buy one? The people interested in doing that will probably pre-build. It won't get consoles (for now at least), who's going to buy this new "steam machine" over a Playstation or Nintendo or Xbox (from the parent's perspective)? Why would I buy one over building a PC? Why would I buy one over building and installing Steam OS? The only reason I see this being hyped is because Valve and as we all know Valve are the bestest because Steam and PC gaming.

SteamBox = EPIC FAIL! Note it says your just doing SaaS from your already nice Mac/PC to the Steambox to actually play the M$/Mac based game that 'natively' (i.e. coded for LinuxOS) the number of games just really doesn't exist for this 'vaporware'. STEAMPOWERED GO BUY OUT ONLIVE! (www.onlive.com) and use thier code to SaaS games to 'any platform, any device' like your Steambox but make the Steambox a 'undercutting the competition' cost to the consumer. Imagine one of these Steamboxes doing Onlive and the actual hardware being a Haswell i3 with IGP and costing $199! Joe Consumer looks at that then the $2000 cost for a Alienware, or the $500 PS4 ,... only $200 and play all the PC games I want, HELL YEAH SOLD.

Steam is missing the opportunity of the buildup they made, by missing the key point : COST. What Joe 'idiot on techie things' Consumer looks in the store and sees the $249 Walmart PC, the $499 Xbox/PS4, then the $1000-2000 Steambox, what one will they buy? First stupidly (just look at all the forum posts of people whom bought for Xmas APU PCs and wonder why BF4 can't play on it) they buy the cheap PC for thier kids, then they come back and get the console, and would never ever look at the Steambox.

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
The iBuyPower Steam Machine is quite possibly the only one worth looking at. A self-designed box, which is cheaper than building it yourself, with specs good enough to match consoles and a price to compete as well.Everyone else shouldn't even be counted, they either have stupid parts (dual Titans, well done guys) or they cost way too much (over a grand for crap laptop parts, yeah...). I actually really hope the iBuyPower box becomes the defacto standard, because it's a great little box for the price, and actually looks like something you might have under the TV!

drd7of14

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2014
If they opened up streaming to other devices, aka, VITA, then this would be another awesome feature! Would love a remote play app for Steam to VITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.