Question Which storagetype to choose for Games

Jun 15, 2019
I purchased recently the lenovo Y540 laptop, it comes with a 256ssd in it and I don't think that will be enough for me.
So I want to add another storage in there, I was thinking about the "Seagate Barracuda Compute 2,5", 1TB 5400rpm". Will this be good enough for putting games and projects on it?

Dunlop0078

Polypheme
Herald
Good enough sure, however I would not ideally recommend a 5400rpm drive for modern games, load times will be terrible and you may get some texture pop in issues when you first load into a game especially more modern games with a lot of very large textures to load into RAM. I'd look into at leas a 7200rpm drive or a cheaper SATA SSD if you can swing it.

Jun 15, 2019

Dunlop0078

Polypheme
Herald
Does cache not matter barracuda has 128mb while the one you say has 16 MB
Well it certainly matters how much is a hard question to answer however from my understanding a bunch of cache is not going to makeup for a slow slow seek speed in the majority of use cases. For a drive with games on it you want decent random read speeds, a 7200rpm drive is generally going to have better random read speeds than a 5400rpm drive regardless of cache size.

If you were planning to do a lot of writes i might recommend the drive with more cache however for a drive primarily used for storing games I would get the higher RPM drive. The SSD makes them both look like slow dinosaurs however.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS