60gb ssd
500 gb hdd
8gb ram
Seller didn't know what motherboard
A crappy case
Corsair v550

Solution
I have a 120 gb ssd laying around

Then you're really comparing i5-2400 + 960 vs 6200 + 570.

Heat issues, vrm issues, weak performance.
Even low end pentium systems perform better than FX system.

Heat and VRM concerns should be a non-issue with an FX6200 unless it's a really low-end motherboard.

While low-end Pentiums can outperform FX in a lot of tasks.... You're talking substantially more modern Pentiums - where the cost of the chip alone would be probably 60% or more of the total budget for the entire platform.

The FX would suffice for day-to-day use and some lighter gaming, as would the 2400. Neither are 'ideal' picks in 2020, but at 100EUR for the complete system, neither are necessarily 'bad' either.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I have a 120 gb ssd laying around

Heat issues, vrm issues, weak performance.
Even low end pentium systems perform better than FX system.

Heat and VRM concerns should be a non-issue with an FX6200 unless it's a really low-end motherboard.

While low-end Pentiums can outperform FX in a lot of tasks.... You're talking substantially more modern Pentiums - where the cost of the chip alone would be probably 60% or more of the total budget for the entire platform.

The FX would suffice for day-to-day use and some lighter gaming, as would the 2400. Neither are 'ideal' picks in 2020, but at 100EUR for the complete system, neither are necessarily 'bad' either.

Solution

xenfur

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020

Which one then xD. I'll mostly play games, maybe some light editing.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which one then xD. I'll mostly play games, maybe some light editing.

I've already stated what I would do - I'd opt for the FX. I'm assuming the motherboard won't be bottom of the barrel, but that is an unknown quantity, so it's a little more risk.

Neither are bad for the money, and you could make an argument for either.

The fact you don't know what the motherboard is in the 2nd with a crappy case should be enough to make you choose the first one. You can buy a GPU upgrade for extremely cheap.

The motherboard, I agree with - although it's probably ok for the FX6200
The case though, I wholeheartedly disagree. At 100EUR, it's should really be about getting the best 'bang for the buck'.... So CPU/GPU/RAM/Storage. What it looks like should be the last consideration... IMO anyway.

xenfur

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
The fact you don't know what the motherboard is in the 2nd with a crappy case should be enough to make you choose the first one. You can buy a GPU upgrade for extremely cheap.
But i can buy a case for 20 euro, h61m-p33 motherboard for 20 euro, and a i5 3330 for 20 euro. I don't think gpu upgrade is cheaper.

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
I've already stated what I would do - I'd opt for the FX. I'm assuming the motherboard won't be bottom of the barrel, but that is an unknown quantity, so it's a little more risk.

Neither are bad for the money, and you could make an argument for either.

The motherboard, I agree with - although it's probably ok for the FX6200
The case though, I wholeheartedly disagree. At 100EUR, it's should really be about getting the best 'bang for the buck'.... So CPU/GPU/RAM/Storage. What it looks like should be the last consideration... IMO anyway.

I just meant in terms of it doesn't seem like the system may have been well taken care of...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
On amazon right now the i5 3330 is 140 euros.

I'm going to take a wild stab and guess they're buying used 😂

But i can buy a case for 20 euro, h61m-p33 motherboard for 20 euro, and a i5 3330 for 20 euro. I don't think gpu upgrade is cheaper.

Ok that might change some things.

IF you want the absolute best 'bang for your buck' and you're prepared to put a little bit extra out, I'd be more inclined to buy the FX setup for the Cooler/GPU/RAM/Storage/PSU and buy the H61 and i5-3330 you mention for 40EUR total.

Then sell the FX+MB... should be able to get 25EUR+ for it.

So then you have a total spend of ~115EU (~135 if you buy a new case too), and nets you a substantially better configuration

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
For some reason when he said crappy case I thought of a damaged/broken not necessarily cheap lol.

Cases are completely subjective.
Now while 'crappy' might mean 'cheap', it could mean 'damaged' or 'ugly' or simply 'not my style'.
At the end of the day though, at 100EUR, I doubt anybody could reasonably expect the nicest looking system.

I wish i could send a pic but it doesn't let me

If it's an image, you can upload to a third party site such as:
or

And embed it here (or link it).

xenfur

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
Cases are completely subjective.
Now while 'crappy' might mean 'cheap', it could mean 'damaged' or 'ugly' or simply 'not my style'.
At the end of the day though, at 100EUR, I doubt anybody could reasonably expect the nicest looking system.

If it's an image, you can upload to a third party site such as:
or

And embed it here (or link it).
https://ibb.co/3SjCxMt