Question Which temp reading from HWInfo is the correct one?

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Which is the correct one for WHAT? Honestly, it would be a good idea when using Ryzen, to use Ryzen master.

Which one is the correct temp reading? TCTL/TDIE or CCD1?

Above the cpu thread usage, is there a line that says temperature above that, which shows temps while in use?

The temp reading for my cpu is below the RAM timing and cpu thread usage.

Maybe this can help ya:

Oct 2, 2019 (from hwinfo Autor, heres the link: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/thread...to-have-accurate-reading-for-ryzen-3000.5938/)

"I believe those people recommended Ryzen Master because AMD did so some time ago.
Integrating their SDK would be problematic as it would require shipping additional AMD DLLs and installing another AMD kernel driver. This adds complexity and can cause undesirable effects. There are also other aspects that I cannot disclose.
We don't know for sure what exactly RM reports as temperature, but most probably it's an average value of all core sensors across some (unknown) interval. Averaging is done in order to flatten potential spikes of instantenous high/low values. A similar technique is done in reporting of core voltages.
CPU (Tctl/Tdie) in HWiNFO should be the immediate hottest temperature in the entire CPU package, while the CCD value covers only the CPU cores of a given Core Complex Die (CCD). Based on our measurements, the CCD value should be closer to AMD Ryzen Master reported temperature."

Also: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/cpu-temp-sensors-explanation.5597/

Reactions: drea.drechsler

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Tdie is overall temp.

cpu ccd1 tdie is the actual temp same as ryzen master for my 3700x?
Maybe this can help ya:

Oct 2, 2019 (from hwinfo Autor, heres the link: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/thread...to-have-accurate-reading-for-ryzen-3000.5938/)

"I believe those people recommended Ryzen Master because AMD did so some time ago.
Integrating their SDK would be problematic as it would require shipping additional AMD DLLs and installing another AMD kernel driver. This adds complexity and can cause undesirable effects. There are also other aspects that I cannot disclose.
We don't know for sure what exactly RM reports as temperature, but most probably it's an average value of all core sensors across some (unknown) interval. Averaging is done in order to flatten potential spikes of instantenous high/low values. A similar technique is done in reporting of core voltages.
CPU (Tctl/Tdie) in HWiNFO should be the immediate hottest temperature in the entire CPU package, while the CCD value covers only the CPU cores of a given Core Complex Die (CCD). Based on our measurements, the CCD value should be closer to AMD Ryzen Master reported temperature."

Also: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/cpu-temp-sensors-explanation.5597/

Too much technical information that is causing me to have a headache, so can you please provide a short and simple answer for my question? I would appreciate just to know which one temp reading from HWInfo64 is the real one for my cpu and indentical to the Ryzen Master.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Tdie reports which temp is currently on the hottest single core. CCD reports what all the cores are averaged at and is only averaged every 3 or so seconds. So CCD will give you a cpu temp, Tdie will give a hottest-core temp.

If you run Prime95 with 1 worker, you'll see 1 core at very high temps, the rest doing next to nothing, Tdie being what to read there. If running Prime95 with all workers, all cores are used, so CCD would be most useful.

If you get lucky on the cpu, there'll be very little difference between Tdie and CCD, if you aren't so lucky, it's not uncommon to see upto 10°C difference between hottest and coldest cores when all cores are at 100% Prime95.

So honestly, with the less than 1°C difference and a 3°C max difference as shown in your picture, it doesn't matter which. Consider both equally.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
You are reading temps in the mid 70's. That's of far more importance than whether it's 74 or 77°C

So what is my cpu max temp on bf5 for 3 hours? 74c or 77c? You said consider both equally, so what do I say to myself for the max cpu temp on bf5 for 3 hours? I agree with you that mid 70 is more important than whether it's 74c or 77c, but I just want to know what is bf5 max cpu temp for 3 hours now.

Ryzen 3700X can get hot, and more hot, and suer hot, if a hot gpu is dropping warm air inside the case, and if the case don't have good air flow it wont help.
Can you please lets us know the answer to this few question:

• Whats your GPU?
  • Are you using the stock Ryzen cooler that came with your CPU or a diferent one?
  • How many fans does you case have and where are they installed ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 3700x won't start thermal throttling until it reaches 85°C consistently, so with a temp as read in Ryzen Master of @ 74° to 75°, it doesn't make a difference at all if HWInfo reads high core at 74° and cpu at 77°. You are in mid 70's, not mid 80's.

Considering those are gaming temps, not stress/torture temps, your fixation is in the wrong area. I'd not be worried about 3°C as much as the fact that for whatever reason, your cpu cooler isn't adequate enough to put gaming temps in the mid 60's instead.

Reactions: RodroX

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Ryzen 3700X can get hot, and more hot, and suer hot, if a hot gpu is dropping warm air inside the case, and if the case don't have good air flow it wont help.
Can you please lets us know the answer to this few question:

• Whats your GPU?
  • Are you using the stock Ryzen cooler that came with your CPU or a diferent one?
  • How many fans does you case have and where are they installed ?

sapphire pulse rx 590
no stock cooler. corsair h115i pro rgb installed top of the case
2x 140mm corsair af white led intake front, 1x 140mm corsair af white led exhaust back

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
The 3700x won't start thermal throttling until it reaches 85°C consistently, so with a temp as read in Ryzen Master of @ 74° to 75°, it doesn't make a difference at all if HWInfo reads high core at 74° and cpu at 77°. You are in mid 70's, not mid 80's.

Considering those are gaming temps, not stress/torture temps, your fixation is in the wrong area. I'd not be worried about 3°C as much as the fact that for whatever reason, your cpu cooler isn't adequate enough to put gaming temps in the mid 60's instead.

oh okay thanks.

sapphire pulse rx 590
no stock cooler. corsair h115i pro rgb installed top of the case
2x 140mm corsair af white led intake front, 1x 140mm corsair af white led exhaust back

Im not an expert but I think the temps don't look soo bad considering how the components are set inside the case.
The top radiator means your probably getting some of the hot air that elevate from the GPU towards the heatsink/pump and the radiator itself. And that makes the cpu runs a bit hotter.
With a front mounted rad you just blow fresh air from outside the case on it, so it should cool the cpu a bit better (~5 to 10°, it all depends).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAMxZgvves

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCZ5iP5cu8g

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Im not an expert but I think the temps don't look soo bad considering how the components are set inside the case.
The top radiator means your probably getting some of the hot air that elevate from the GPU towards the heatsink/pump and the radiator itself. And that makes the cpu runs a bit hotter.
With a front mounted rad you just blow fresh air from outside the case on it, so it should cool the cpu a bit better (~5 to 10°, it all depends).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAMxZgvves

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCZ5iP5cu8g

I have the top rad fans mounted as intake. Case > rad > intake fans.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wait, so top fans are intake, front fans are intake and just a 140mm exhaust?

Bottom/front fans = intake
Top/rear fans = exhaust

Otherwise what you are doing is fighting airflow from all directions, front-top-gpu and case heat is staying in the case for the most part, which makes gpu temps worse.

Very few times you'll ever see anything different when it comes to pc case airflow.

Reactions: sc2lines

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
mmmm I see, well still looks a bit hot for Ryzen 7 3700X with a 280mm radiator. But if fans are in low rpm mode that could explain it.

In any case I don't think is a bad temp, is not great, but not that bad.

Pump and fans are set extreme through Corsair ICUE. I saw a few people with 3700x getting mid 70 on gaming too. One guy getting max 75c on 3700x with d15.

Wait, so top fans are intake, front fans are intake and just a 140mm exhaust?

Bottom/front fans = intake
Top/rear fans = exhaust

Otherwise what you are doing is fighting airflow from all directions, front-top-gpu and case heat is staying in the case for the most part, which makes gpu temps worse.

Very few times you'll ever see anything different when it comes to pc case airflow.

My gpu is rx 590 hungry power gpu that put out 80c. I don't want my gpu heat dumps into my rad that will cause my cpu temp to go up. I see a lot of people recommend getting much cold air as possible into the rad

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Front intake sucks in cold air, blows it at the gpu. Gpu fans suck in cold air, blow it across hot heatsink, creating warm air which gets blown towards the top of the case. You have top fans as intakes, blowing warm exhaust into case - directly at the gpu.

You basically have almost zero airflow in the case. Literally. Considering the downward force of those rad fans vrs the gpu fans, I'm surprised it hasn't overheated yet.

To top that off, the Rx590 uses @ 80w less at full load vrs R9 390 or Vega64, and barely more than an Rx580, so I'd not claim it to be a monster heater by any means when ppl used to crossfire R9 390 / R9 390x, or even the massive loads of the R9 295x2.

Radiators don't work by cooling cpu temps. Radiators work by removing excess energy from the coolant. The coolant is in a constant battle of trying to remain at ambient temps, which is the case temps, since that's the air it's affected by. You'd be lucky if coolant temps got to 40°C, even with a 77°C cpu. The air crossing through the fins is blowing over 40° heatpipes, into a case that's at @ 40°C. You aren't dumping HOT air into the case unless your cooler is massively under-rated, and the coolant super hot.

So it doesn't really make much of any difference to the cooler whether it's mounted on top blowing out or in front blowing in. At best you'll see a 2°C difference on the cpu, if you have decent airflow and the coolant ambient reflects that.

Turn the fans around, and once the coolant climatizes to the lower case temps, you'll stand a better chance of lower cpu temps and lower gpu temps as now you'll actually have airflow through the case, and case temps will drop, which also helps with motherboard VRM cooling.

Think of it this way, since what you read was partially correct. I get better gas milage using super gas, an extra 2miles per gallon. 20 gallon tank. So I'd get an extra 40 miles per tank. Sounds good right? At 20mpg regular gas, that's 400 or 440 miles. Regular gas is $2.10 a gallon. Super is $2.60 per gallon. Fill the tank costs $42 regular or $52 super. That extra 2 miles a gallon (40 miles) just cost an extra $10, which in regular gas would be @ 90 miles. Doesn't sound so good after all I can go 490 miles for the same money as 440 miles.

So just because someone posts that it's better for cpu if rad is intake, doesn't necessarily mean that having a top intake is going to be good overall for the entire pc, including the cpu.

Last edited:

Latest posts