[SOLVED] Which thermal paste should I use?

Feb 5, 2019
Hi! I’m thinking on changing my CPU Cooler to a Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition. It comes with its own thermal paste but I don’t know if I should use the one with the cooler or a 3rd party thermal paste like the MX-4.
Thank you!

Solution
It's more than just the temp differences. Premium 'pastes' are not so much paste as they are thermal 'grease'. They have much better spread quality, more consistently, easier to apply, easier to clean, easier to get a better air-free connection etc than their cheap counterparts. Is it worth paying $13 for 5 applications of premium over $8 for 5 applications of cheap stuff? For many, no its not, it's $5 wasted as they'll repaste once every 5 years or so. For ppl on test benches, repair/replacements, ppl who do 10 cooler swaps a year, then a very large yes, it's a 30 second swipe vrs 20 minutes chipping away at that 5yr old Arctic Silver 5 that's dried rock hard.

uria702

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Don't waste your $$ on premium thermal paste! The difference will be at most 2 degrees from my experience. The included thermal paste on the cooler master is good quality!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's more than just the temp differences. Premium 'pastes' are not so much paste as they are thermal 'grease'. They have much better spread quality, more consistently, easier to apply, easier to clean, easier to get a better air-free connection etc than their cheap counterparts. Is it worth paying $13 for 5 applications of premium over $8 for 5 applications of cheap stuff? For many, no its not, it's $5 wasted as they'll repaste once every 5 years or so. For ppl on test benches, repair/replacements, ppl who do 10 cooler swaps a year, then a very large yes, it's a 30 second swipe vrs 20 minutes chipping away at that 5yr old Arctic Silver 5 that's dried rock hard.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS