Which threadripper is better for gaming price vs value wise ?

Feb 15, 2018
i'm tempted to buy a threadripper , since it would last for quite a while unless pci express 4 or other stuff come ? should i buy one or wait for TR4 + ? plus

Solution
Do you also want to buy an 18-wheeler semi-truck just because its bigger than a sedan?

If you don't need threadripper now, you won't need it in the future.

Even Ryzen's 8 cores and 16 threads are currently more than anyone can really use for non-workstation programs.

Intel's good CPUs from 6-7 years ago are still relatively good now, Intel's weak CPUs, not so much.

If you build a proper good computer now, it will easily last you 5+ years.

DSzymborski

Titan
Do you have significant workstation-type use with the PC? That's what determines if even thinking about a Threadripper makes sense. If this is a gaming-only or mainly-gaming rig, it doesn't make much sense to even talk about this CPU; an 8700k will perform better in gaming and it won't be an actual improvement over the less-expensive Ryzens either.

rafael_1414

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Do some research before you make a decision. Threadripper CPU's aren't ideal for gaming and will only in specific situations offer a real benefit over a more conventional CPU when it comes to productivity.

Feb 15, 2018

no , i'm not that type of user . i simply have never tried AMD before , and the smaller cpu's don't look that impressive , same thing for intel's115x line of cpu's . i've been saving money for a while and now i think i wanna buy a threadripper . so is 1900x 1920 or 1950 , which one is a better choice ? i know the 1950x is simply too expensive so how would you choose between 1900x and 1920x ?

i also wanna build a PC that lasts for maybe 4-5 years ? or better 6-7 years . my current skylake gets hot and loud even in simple games such as the multiplayer of call of duty ww2 . let alone open world games which i don't even play.

so what would you do if you wanted to build a PC that lasts for 6-7 years ?

thanks in advance for your help

Feb 15, 2018

well i just want to pay for once , and build a PC that lasts for maybe 6-7 years ? so i don't have to constantly upgrade . and intel's cpu's are expesive . threadripper seems to offer the same solution as intel's 2066 line of cpu's with a lower price ?! would you buy a TR4 now or would you wait for the successor of TR4 that will probably come sooner or later ?

Do you also want to buy an 18-wheeler semi-truck just because its bigger than a sedan?

If you don't need threadripper now, you won't need it in the future.

Even Ryzen's 8 cores and 16 threads are currently more than anyone can really use for non-workstation programs.

Intel's good CPUs from 6-7 years ago are still relatively good now, Intel's weak CPUs, not so much.

If you build a proper good computer now, it will easily last you 5+ years.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan

The 2066 CPUs have the same issue as Threadripper in that they're not intended for this kind of use. It's like using a flamethrower to light the candles on a birthday cake. They're great for people with professional needs using software that has enough of its functions parallelized for the greater number of cores/threads to matter. Nor are these lines any more future-proof for the purpose of gaming.