[SOLVED] Which thrmal paste to buy?

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Hello, i will be buying the corsair h100i platinum as my CPU cooler but i don't really want to be using the pre-applied thermal paste. I will leave my system specs down below (i will also be changing the paste on my GPU, it's almost a 1 year old GPU)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
  • CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Gaming B550-F
  • RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16x2gb 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT
  • PSU: Corsair RM750 80 Plus Gold
  • Case: Corsair 465X
  • HDD 1: Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" 2TB SATA 3
  • HDD 2: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
  • SSD: Samsung QVO 860 1TB
  • SSD M.2 NVMe: PNY CS2130 1TB SSD
  • Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ 165Hz Quad HD Curved
Initially i thought of buying the Corsair XTM50 but i've been reading about thermal pastes and i've seen that the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the best one (or one of the best) out there. I have a budget of 250€ to buy everything. I could also change the AIO but i would rather save money to buy the new AMD GPU's that will come out.

I will be overclocking my ryzen, as much as i can, not as a prolongated overclock, just to see how far i can push the CPU.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Kryonaut is a far better paste than AS5. I'm assuming the many many more reviews from as5 are from it being out for so much longer. I'd go kryonaut. I use it and have been pleased with the results.

But really at the end of the day, any good paste will give good results. All within a few degrees of 3ach other. Go with what's easily available. noctua is good, mx4 is good, etc.
Kryonaut definitely has some of the best reviews, but I'd argue that the Arctic Silver 5 paste has many many more. I'd recommend that one, however both are inexpensive (as all pastes are). You'd probably benefit from trying both and seeing which one works best for you

Kryonaut is a far better paste than AS5. I'm assuming the many many more reviews from as5 are from it being out for so much longer. I'd go kryonaut. I use it and have been pleased with the results.

But really at the end of the day, any good paste will give good results. All within a few degrees of 3ach other. Go with what's easily available. noctua is good, mx4 is good, etc.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If it is applied correctly, the difference between the popular, known brands amounts to less than 5C; we're talking margin of error kind of difference.
Once the above is covered, it's the heatsink/radiator and fans doing the real work.

I don't use Thermal Grizzly because it's too bloody expensive per gram. NT-H2, FTW.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Honestly I would use any Noctua-supplied thermal paste or the Arctic MX-4, nothing else. These do the job well.

Screw liquid metal, who cares. Too risky. I'd rather have nothing conductive on my CPU, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS